Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First Post, and yes, it's a tire/wheel question!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Post, and yes, it's a tire/wheel question!

Greetings all - I have a 2007 Sahara Unlimited 4-Door in Steel Blue.

Went on my first trail ride with the local jeep club last weekend and shredded a sidewall. This accelerated my timeline for upgrading the stock tires and rims.

I am going to go to a smaller rim to get more tire than the stock 18" will allow.

So far, I have the Teraflex leveling kit on, which raises the front 2" and the back 1". Per their specs, this would allow me to run as high as 34" tire.

I got a good deal on some 16x8 Procomp 7069 rims with 4" backspacing.

Will I have any issues with rubbing or sticking out way too far if I go with a 305/70R16? According to the tire size calculators, this tire will be 2" wider and .76" taller than my stock 255/70/18s. But I'll have just 4" of backspacing vs the stock 6" (if I recall correctly). I have replaced the stock bumper with a dual tube from rugged ridge and the stock air dam is no longer there.

My first trail ride was a white-knuckle, jackhammer-heartbeating time. I'm ready to try it again...with better tires!

Last edited by 67alecto; 03-12-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be ok. I only had rubbing on the air duct in the front while on the street and rubbing in the rear flares when flexing offroad. Cut flares and got new bumpers and now I don't rub a all.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might rub a little at flex if you disconnect your sway bar... but as the other poster said you can likely remedy this with flat flares
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires ordered!

Quick Reply: First Post, and yes, it's a tire/wheel question!