Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First post/Clayton 3.5 premium system install

Old 10-27-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post/Clayton 3.5 premium system install

Hi to all! I've been lurking on your forum doing as much reading as I possibly can before I installed Clayton's Premium 3.5 kit. First, I'll say I drive an '05 TJ Unlimited Rubicon and this will be my first lift install on a JK. This is a friends '10 JK Rubicon. He's a newbie to jeeps but has bottomless pockets so we've ordered up some great stuff.

My concern is the ESC. Having never dealt with a system like this, I have to admit, I am a bit concerned. The lift seems pretty straight forward and comes with the Tom Woods driveshafts and the rest of the goodies.

Any tips you guys would like to pass on?

As I mentioned, my '05 has a long arm kit plus I've owned a few CJ's over the years too, so I'm confident in my install ability. It's just the ESC that bothers me a bit.

I'll look forward to reading your replies as well as some other stuff while I'm searching the forums!

Thanks again and of course I'll post pictures when I get started next weekend!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get better joints for the drive shafts first. Other than that, lift it, align it, wheel it.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kind of concerned me a bit as well but the install instructions say it best......

"Note : The new 2007+ Jeep Wrangler JKs are equipped with an Electric Stability Program (ESP). Electronic Stability Program aids the driver in
maintaining vehicle directional stability, providing oversteer and understeer control to maintain vehicle behavior on various road surfaces. This
function is affected when lifting this vehicle and may not function properly. It is highly important to center the steering wheel. Please drive
cautiously until you know how your vehicle will react."
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JK's ESP is very sensitive and prone to going off when the steering wheel is off center. It may also be affected when the axle is not centered so make sure your kit includes an adjustable track bar. If it doesn't have one, get one.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

I installed Clayton 3.5" premium on my 2010, straight forward install.

Before i did anything i took WOL writeups and familiarized myself with all the components. I also took time to check stock caster angle (WOL writeup) to make sure I was checking it correctly.

After scouring through many posts. I decided to disable the ESP before taking anything apart, it made post adjustments so much easier in not having to worry about ESP kicking in during test drives. If you decide to disable ESP, do it with the the Jeep running - it's easier.

Do the front first then the rear, unless you're lucky enough to have a high-lift...

once you have axles centered, everything tight, center the steering and test drive before enabling ESP (though I still have ESP off, my preference)

be sure to double check your measurements for each set of arms. I had posts that fit perfect in the control arms bolt holes so I was able to match exact length and had no issue at all after install was complete.

ran stock tires for a couple of weeks (ESP off) while waiting for 35's and wheels. After 35's installed had slight pull but alignment took care of that. I've run at 93mph, Clayton system is solid.

Last edited by jeeeep; 10-27-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: First post/Clayton 3.5 premium system install