Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

first mods, need help

Old 12-21-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first mods, need help

I just bought my first new jeep, had a 77 cj5 years ago and regrettably sold it because I beat it up off road beyond my wallet could repair. I got a 2012 unlimited sport, manual. i've been reading a bit here over the last couple months and now i'm looking for some opinions before i start spending money. I'm on a budget so i'm looking at the teraflex 2.5" with shock adapters. I want to fit 35" tires, and i want to keep my stock 17" wheels. from what i've been reading here, it looks like I will need wheel spacers (looking at 1.5" spidertrax) and a front adjustable trackbar. I'm also thinking about 1" front coil spacers to level it all out. I appreciate any opinions and help you guys have for me.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Read up on all the warranty threads on the forum before you do anything to your brand new 2012. I know it made me re evaluate my plans on my new 2011. I didnt realize how much trail mods are shunned by chrysler
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do the 2.5 Teraflex coil lift before the spacer lift
Old 12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Super Freak

as said above, if keeping your warranty is a priority just make sure your dealer is mod friendly. the 2.5 teraflex kit is great kit. i have run it for a wile and have no complaints.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 AM
JK Newbie

Pretty soon you are going to notice how much the stock headlghts suck. When you do, with budget in mind, go with the rally lights harness ad some phillips extreme white bulbs. Great set up and pretty inexpensive. I also second going to the coil route first.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i too wanted a lift and 35s but as someone mentioned your warranty will most likely be shot and most dealers will blame anything that goes wrong on the lift. I've found that my 285x70x17s fit real nicely with no rub. I haven't run trails with it but have driven up on different obstacles to check the flex and all seems good for my needs. i figure ill spend my money on different mods for 3 years then when the warranty expires i'll upgrade with a lift. just my .02c
Old 12-22-2011, 02:48 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're gonna wheel, armor it up underneath........put some good protection under there....
Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Freak

I'd say to start with an evap skid, though I hear the '12 comes with one from the factory, if necessary. After that, maybe throw a good leveling kit on there (I'm running the Teraflex version, and my wheels with 35s fit fine (I do have aftermarket wheels, though). You can buy one used and save some coin, then save up until you can get the lift you want in the future. This is what I did - I'm waiting on my lift to come in the mail next week.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK_R&D
Read up on all the warranty threads on the forum before you do anything to your brand new 2012. I know it made me re evaluate my plans on my new 2011. I didnt realize how much trail mods are shunned by chrysler
i read the warranty thread before i went shopping so i was ready. i asked at the dealer before i signed and they told me as long as i dont exceed 2.5", i will be ok. over that and i void the powertrain warranty.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
I'd do the 2.5 Teraflex coil lift before the spacer lift
i was actually thinking of both together. i haven't read much on the combo though so i'm not sure if more is required if i do so. it would make it 3.5" front and 2.5" rear.

Quick Reply: first mods, need help