Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First mod Winch or Rock Rails??

Old 02-01-2012, 10:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the winch. I picked up a set of Rubi rails here in SoCal for $100 from someone with a new Rubi that wanted to upgrade.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A winch is nice to have, but you will hate yourself forever if you bash in the body on your new truck. Get the rails first, add the winch later as needed.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

My $.02 is since it's free money (yeah right, free you'll pay for it one way or another) go for the winch... Rails are more practical but given your situation, the winch for sure. As wayoflife stated, get a snatch block too...
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

I vote for rock rails, just because everybody else said winch.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The dilemma is this both the rails and the winch are about the same money but with a winch I would need to find a cheep winch plate that would work. Because i havent found a mounting plate on their site and would need one that works with the stock bumper. And i would still need the rails. This is my 4th jeep and I have never had a winch. anytime I have ever gotten stuck I was able to get out with a tow strap, hi-lift, or both.

If I decide to go with the winch I would have about 100 including taxes left over. Was thinking maybe someone local might want something from mopar for that money that I could trade for a set of their used unlimited rubicon rails that they have taken off.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
man, my rule of thumb is if you don't have em, rock rails are what you need. however, you can get a used set of rubicon rails for cheap and, being that is rarely gets used, a winch is always a tough mod to justify. so, having said that, i would say go with the winch.
X2. I gave $125 for my rails used. Get the winch and pick up some used rails on this site
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are concerned about the winch plate and as many of have stated, it might not be worth spending full price for rails that can easily be bought for 1/2 the price. Anything else Mopar on the list? Do you have u-connect, alarm system, etc.? If it were me I would spend a dealership coupon on things that can only be bought at the dealership and save the mods for the aftermarket or more economical sources.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Winch, every Jeep Wrangler needs a winch as the first mod. Just a great tool...

Brent
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The guy at the dealer never called me back today so I'll have to find out tomorrow if he found the program. He said it came out the day I bought the jeep. But from looking online it seems like you have only 30 days from date of purchase use it.
I have u-connect
3.73 gears
Tow package
And full power
Hardtop
Automatic

I may already have a hookup for the rails so I will look at other things and also verify that I can get the winch with the bucks.
Thanks for all the feedback
That's why I love this forum!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
Fyi I can't spend any of my own money on mods (that was the agreement with wife in order for me to get the new Jeep)
I see a couple of loop holes here. Get both.
1. Spend her money ...... It's not yours!!!!!
2. Credit card..... Your charging it not spending your own money.

Maybe you just need to let her know about the safety issues of not having both.

Don't let me get you in trouble >
I'll gladly take the blame but not the responsibility.

Quick Reply: First mod Winch or Rock Rails??