Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First mod...lift kit?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mod...lift kit?

Guys,

I am interested in doing my first modification to my rig...a lift kit.

I've pretty much decided that I want a 3-3.5" lift. My question is, can I go ahead and install the lift kit using my stock wheel and tires? Or should I purchase the wheels and tires first, and then install a lift kit? I ultimately want both but want to do it in pieces, and I'm not sure which to do first.

I am looking at 33's for the jeep at some point with new wheels as well. But again, do I buy the wheels and tires and wait on the lift, or can I run stock wheels and tires with a 3.5" until I can purchase new wheels and tires as well? I'm partial to doing the lift kit first if its feasible. Any recommendations here as to lift kit brands?

Lastly, does a lift kit throw my warranty with jeep out the window? I'm not far away as it is (25,000 miles).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Boss - as I would love to go over your options and/or give you suggestions/pointers, your best bet is to check out what WOL wrote-up in regards to "questions every newbie has". Not sure if you read this yet, but it is VERY helpful for people such as yourself looking for some insight.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has

Check it out, it's great. Then come on back and ask anything you might still have some questions on and I'm sure we'll all be glad to help ya out!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I waited till I could afford the lift, gears, spacers and tires all at once. If you have the discount tire card and can get the no interest financing for 12 months on the tires, that may help you out a bit. I'm still running the stock rubicon rims. They rub a tiny bit on the lower control arms when you turn the wheel all the way, but its bearable until I can afford new wheels. I love my Rock Krawler 3.5 Flex and the G2 5.13 gears spin the 35" kevlar MT/Rs just fine.
As far as your warranty, it seems like that is completely determined by the dealer you take it to. After reading a lot about it, it seems some dealers are looking for a reason to flag your warranty whereas others will work on heavily modified jeeps without a qualm. Talk to your local dealer about how they feel and read the long ordeal that the one guy on here went through. It's at the top of the "modified" forum page.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Boss - as I would love to go over your options and/or give you suggestions/pointers, your best bet is to check out what WOL wrote-up in regards to "questions every newbie has". Not sure if you read this yet, but it is VERY helpful for people such as yourself looking for some insight.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has

Check it out, it's great. Then come on back and ask anything you might still have some questions on and I'm sure we'll all be glad to help ya out!
That was quite helpful...Thanks!

That being said, do I save up to do it all at once, or go in pieces (i.e. lift kit first then wheels/tires or vice versa)?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prime8
Personally, I waited till I could afford the lift, gears, spacers and tires all at once. If you have the discount tire card and can get the no interest financing for 12 months on the tires, that may help you out a bit. I'm still running the stock rubicon rims. They rub a tiny bit on the lower control arms when you turn the wheel all the way, but its bearable until I can afford new wheels. I love my Rock Krawler 3.5 Flex and the G2 5.13 gears spin the 35" kevlar MT/Rs just fine.
As far as your warranty, it seems like that is completely determined by the dealer you take it to. After reading a lot about it, it seems some dealers are looking for a reason to flag your warranty whereas others will work on heavily modified jeeps without a qualm. Talk to your local dealer about how they feel and read the long ordeal that the one guy on here went through. It's at the top of the "modified" forum page.
Thanks Prime! I was looking at that specific lift kit as well...
Old 02-08-2012, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BossHog
That was quite helpful...Thanks!

That being said, do I save up to do it all at once, or go in pieces (i.e. lift kit first then wheels/tires or vice versa)?
One shot my friend... cause if you do either/or - you run into the dreaded "I want a lift now!" or "I want my new tires & wheels now!" bc when it comes to that, they don't play well when they aren't paired up, hahaha.... New meat should go with a new lift if you are in the market for both IMHO. You'll beat yourself up if you don't bc when I put my new lift on, I now want my bigger tires...and I know I probably should have gotten them at the same time (even tho its a little different for me since I still have like 25%+ treat left on mine) and also the fact that my tires alone are about $2k
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd personally think about your lift first. If you don't plan on going larger than 35s there's no need to go 3.5 for lift. You can fit 33s or 35s with a 2.5 lift and save some scratch. I think if you lifted it the 3.5 before saving for the tires, you're going to be unsatisfied and force yourself into purchasing the tires before you're financially ready. I'd save up and do it all at the same time, but it's much easier said than done. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tires/wheels First

How much offroading do you do? I'm assuming that since you're in Florida that you're not doing too much crazy rock crawling... I got my new tires and wheels first. If I had to do it again, I'd still get tires/wheels first. The new tires will give you better traction and help you get through stuff a little easier. If you go with 33's you'll gain ground clearance, where as the lift will just allow more flex/articulation. I think you'll be very surprised what a pretty stock Jeep can get you through. I also think a 3-3.5" lift is a bit much for 33's. I have a TF spring leveling kit and Rubi take offs on mine and I think it's a perfect combo. If you really want to lift it, I think a 2.5" would be good too and it gives you the option to go up to 35s if you want to. Just my 2 cents

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4513.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	275606

Quick Reply: First mod...lift kit?