Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First mod $500 limit for a while

Old 06-17-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First mod $500 limit for a while

If your JK was bone stock (like mine) and you had $500 and that's all you are going to have for a while! What would you get?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahead on my car payments.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mexican_Guard
If your JK was bone stock (like mine) and you had $500 and that's all you are going to have for a while! What would you get?
Some type of rocker protection, quick disconnects for the front swaybar, relocation bracket for the steering stabilizer, first aid kit, fire extingusher and a 30' tow strap with loops then if anything is left over get yourself a small air compressor.

Last edited by slider_68; 06-17-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It depends if you are wanting something to make it look better, or make it more functional off road. Either way, a good first upgrade for anyone is to replace the horrible factory headlights with something better.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

$500 gas card!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

A bikini top or spiderweb shade, hood lock, lug locks, side steps.
JK Freak

If you want off-road capabilities add the Evo skid plates for the oil pan and any other areas not all ready protected by skids.
JK Freak

Again depends on what you are going for what your plans are.

If you want to get out and wheel I would just start working on getting tools you will need/want. CB radio, Tow straps, Hi lift jack.

For disconnects I would just spend $30 on a pair of wrenches and zip ties and do that instead of quick disconnects.
Craftsman 18mm Ratcheting Combination Wrench - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches
Craftsman Professional 18mm Full Polish Long Pattern Wrench, 12 pt. Combination - Tools - Wrenches - All Open Stock Wrenches

To air down quick I use a valve core removal tool:
Slime/4 way tire valve tool (2044-A) | Tire Valve Stem Core Remover Tool | AutoZone.com

Autozone sells this in a pack with more cores (in case you lose one while airing down) and a tire pressure gauge.

As far as protection the best bang for your buck will be some rubi rock rails take off. Search craigslists and forum and try to get them as cheap as you can. You can also call local 4x4 shops and dealerships to see if they have any rails they took off for a customer that wanted to add steps... i read somewhere some dealerships take the rails off and install mopar steps just to increase the price of their jeeps and end up throwing away the rubi rails.

If your ultimate plan is to go 35's you can start thinking about a budget boost, if your plan is 33 then get a leveling kit.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mexican_Guard
Plan A:
Rocker skins - $200
Quick discos - $150
SS Relocator - $25
Windshield lights - $75
Windshield mounts - $25
Plan B:
Winch (xrc8 model) - $299
Winch mounting plate for stock bumper - $50
Lights & brackets - $100
SS relocator - $25

Or combination of any. Just my suggestions. Can't go wrong with body armor, lights, or self recovery equipment. Also browse through the cheap/free mods list to help make your jeep your own. Keep Calm Jeep On!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

As was mentioned, depends on your intended use. If you want something that will improve appearance and drivability, scrap the factory craptastic headlights and get with Tom @ HIDProjectors.com. He can build you a custom set of true Bi-Xenon HID headlights using your stock housings for right @ $500 depending on what all you want him to do.

If you want better off-road capability, pick up a set of quick disconnects, CB, factory rock rails, good tow rope, and maybe a set of deflators to help air down faster. Not sure what the laws are in your state, but you can pick up a Rebel Hellfire HID Kit for I think $150-$175 and they work really well in the factory JK housings. Just not as well as actual HID projectors.

Also, if you don't already have one, a membership to either Blue Ribbon Coalition or Tread Lightly.

Quick Reply: First mod $500 limit for a while