Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First Lift for 2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Lift for 2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Hi all!

So, as I stated in my intro thread, I've been lurking for quite sometime now trying to learn as much as I could about lifts and JK's as I could before I started asking any questions. I now feel I have sufficient enough knowledge about the basics of lift kits to at least pose some semi-intelligent questions about it . I recently purchased a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited w/ a soft top and obviously can't just be driving around with a stock jeep! I know for the most part this will be my daily driver with a few mudding/offroad trips a month. I'd say about 90% pavement pounder, 10% offroad machine. Not looking to have tires any bigger than 33's on it as I do not want to deal with the drop in power and MPG's associated with those big ol' tires. With that being said I've narrowed my options down to two comparable lifts:

Rock Krawler Stock Mod Kit W/ Bilstein Shocks

and

Tera Flex JK 4-door 2.5 inch lift kit w/ Bilstein Shocks

Talking with my buddy at a jeep dealership he recommends the TeraFlex because he's never seen a Rock Krawler Kit before. Looking through the forums, however, it looks like Rock Krawler seems to get the nod a little more often than the TeraFlex. The only difference I see with these two lifts is the is the RK comes with the Adjustable Track Bar and obviously different coils.

Is an Adjustable Front Track Bar something that I will be happy getting or is it something that isn't really a necessity? Also, it looks like the RK lift comes with a few Spring Clips. Are these a necessary installation feature? I can't seem to find anything on them and not really sure what they do. Do they just hold the coil in place, because they shouldn't really need to be locked in if installed right, correct?

Also, I plan on attempting to do this install myself and think I have a good grasp on what is what and what goes where. As a first time install would this be wise or should I just fork over the extra cash to get it professionally done?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sam
Old 05-23-2014, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Install it yourself. For a first-timer, it may take a bit more time than the instructions call for, but it is not a difficult project. Grab the highest lift floor jack you can find, a set (or two) of beefy stands, make sure you have all the tools handy, and read through a few of the writeups up in the writeups area. (lift brand does not matter, they all use basically the same steps).

You can get by without a front trackbar, but it is good to have. (even if no one else notices that the axle isn't centered, you will know it, and it will bug you every time you see it ... )

The retainers will keep the coils from falling out when the axle is fully dropped. (depending on shock length, of course). If they come with the kit, why would you choose to not use them?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You should realize that if you put the 2.5" rock krawler on a stock soft top you are likely going to get around 3.5" of lift which will cause some other issues. And yes you will want track bars at that height.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

here is what it will look like with true 33's and 1.5" rock krawler triple rate coils.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should realize that if you put the 2.5" rock krawler on a stock soft top you are likely going to get around 3.5" of lift which will cause some other issues. And yes you will want track bars at that height.
Hmmm.... No I did not realize that. I knew it tends to give a little more lift than advertised but an inch above I wasn't thinking would happen.... Makes sense with the soft top though. I'd be looking at driveshaft issues with that height then right?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You can get by without a front trackbar, but it is good to have. (even if no one else notices that the axle isn't centered, you will know it, and it will bug you every time you see it ... )

The retainers will keep the coils from falling out when the axle is fully dropped. (depending on shock length, of course). If they come with the kit, why would you choose to not use them?
I'm leaning towards getting the adjustable track bar for that specific reason. I'm 100% sure it would bug me!
And I would use the spring clips just wasn't really sure what they were and appreciate the clarification. Would a proper shock length ensure that the coil wouldn't move without a clip installed? Just curious
Old 05-25-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Could I expect to see a higher than advertised lift with any lift I decide to do regardless of make? I forgot to take in to account the added weight a hard top would have for a lift
Old 05-25-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The better companies run a little higher rate in their coils to allow for extra weight. With your soft top I would expect to see a little extra list fromost companies.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

I'd lean more towards the RK kit, but I'd suggest going up to the max travel kit. It just has a few more parts, that you're really going to want in the long run.
I have their X Factor 8 arm kit, and got a tiny bit over 3.5" on my 2dr.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Here's a pic

33" Nittos on 17x9 ProComps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-658202786.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	555434  

Quick Reply: First Lift for 2012 Rubicon Unlimited