Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First Jeep would like some help.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You need to give us an idea of your plans with the jeep and how you will use it. Write down a list of things you want to do with. Take your time and do lots of research. Look at pics of other jeeps on this forum for ideas. There are many different directions you can go
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sproul
Hey Guys I just bought my first Jeep the other day and I want to build it up a little at a time (~1k a month) any suggestions on where to start and whats absolutely needed would be appreciated thanks!
Figure out what size of tires/wheels you want to run first, then find a lift that will work with them.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I added a wish list to my signature as of now... This Jeep is going to be my DD but i want to be able to take it just about anywhere. As far as wheels and tires go I was thinking 35's. I know a 2.5" lift could fit 35's but I like the look of higher Jeeps.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Just throwing my 2 cents in, after the wife and I went to 31's, we put a front diff guard on first and second time out on the trail, it took a hell of a hit. Glad I put it on! Also went to royal purple gear lube for both diffs.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Sproul
Ok so I added a wish list to my signature as of now... This Jeep is going to be my DD but i want to be able to take it just about anywhere. As far as wheels and tires go I was thinking 35's. I know a 2.5" lift could fit 35's but I like the look of higher Jeeps.
Put the credit card away and spend a lot more time on research.

If you haven't found the Modified FAQ's yet, they should be your first step. Get a handle on tire backspacing, lift height vs tire height, components you will want for various lift heights, what axle gearing you will want for those tires (you are planning to re-gear your Auto for the new 35's, right?). Will you be adding gussets and sleeves when the gears go in? How about lockers/limiteds? Back to components, would cams or adjustable ca's be better? Would a flip or a drop pitman w/trackbar bracket be better? Just a heads-up to look past the price tags and actually understand what you are buying.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Research, research, research. I spent a better part of almost a year before finally pulling the trigger on a lift/wheels/etc. Mods are expensive. But the great thing is that once you figure out your goal, you have a better understanding of what you'll need to get there and you can build-as-you-go in the order that makes the most sense. Function vs. appearance will play a big factor in your decision making as well... would you rather spend $1,000 on new wheels or new gears? It's all up to you. Have fun!!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Im in the same boat as you a bit of excess cash to spend each month. What I did was saved up for a few months and did lift tires wheels all at the same time. Its worth waiting. I also put a little over 2k on my jeep payment each month and had it paid off in 13 months! That felt alot better then the mods.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Before purchasing a lift... find someone who has one of each and try them out. I for one don't like Rough Country lifts due to them being very very stiff, then again I crawl my jk and do serious offroading in it. If you're doing just trails then you might be ok.

do research, look at reviews, ask questions, create that perfect list start from the top and work your way down through the importance of each mod.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Spend about 5000 hours on this site and you may have a clue about you WANT to buy. Learn from all of our mistakes and successes....most of all do your build over time, pay in cash, and make it specific to what you really want to do with your jeep.

It took me 2 years to get mine where I like it, and none of it when on the pastic card of death.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Definitely dont get a rough country lift I havent heard anything but bad things about it, and even with moderate off roading it starts to sag prematurely
Look at ome, bds, teraflex, or rubicon express those are all pretty solid lifts and keep In mind that if you go higher than 3 inches driveshafts should be in your immediate future

Quick Reply: First Jeep would like some help.