Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First Jeep JK Unlimited in Japan

Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First Jeep JK Unlimited in Japan

All, I had my JK Unlimited X delivered here to Japan and now that a couple more have shown up, I was thinking of some mods.. Only problem is Japan is VERY strict with vehicle mods.
So before I invest a lot of money in rims, tires, lifts and SHIPPING, I thought I would ask for some advice....
1. My first problem is wheels and tires... they can't extend outside of the fenders. I am looking at PRO COMP 8089 18x9 rims with 4.5" of backspacing and PRO COMP Radial Xtreme A/T Tire, 35x12.50R-18. Could anyone tell me how much they will extend out past the fenders if at all? I really don't want to put money into aftermarket fenders.
2. For the lift I am going with Tera Flex 3". Does anyone know if it is an all in one or are there going to be more parts I need?

As for mods required to pass Japanese inspection -
Change revers lights to amber turn signals, added additional turn signals to the front, (I guess the four up there weren't good enough, and changed the flush mount fender turn signals to bulbous signals that extend outside of the fender, and had to remove the stock driving lights.

Shipping is going to be a one time, all or nothing on this so I want to get it right the first time. Thanks for any help.

Matt
Jeep JK Unlimited X
Full Husky Liners inside,
Sport handles all around,
Neoprene seat covers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 002.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5430  
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

wish i could help you but i can't so i would just like to congratulate you on getting your Jeep over there!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your tire and wheel combo will stick out past the fenders about 2 inches. No headlights??? No wheeling after dark.

Howdy
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Angry

I have headlights. I had to remove the driving lights in the bumper to pass the JCI inspection. Driving lights must be within 20" of the end of the bumper. I got through the JCI and just reinstalled them....

So 2" inches of protrusion huh? Now I need to rethink my gameplan....

Thanks for the info...

Matt
2007 JK Unlimited X
full set Husky Liners
Grab handles all around
Neoprene Seat Covers
Mirror relocation brackets
Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some extended fender flares... such as bushwackers or xenons. They are not my cup of tea, but will get you by the inspection.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 AM
JK Newbie

Hate to be the bearer of bad news brother, but you weren't the first. There's been a rescue green Unlimited runnin around over here (Iwakuni), since this summer. Word on the street is; the guy who bought it paid over $45K (US!) for it up in Hiroshima.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acidcrash
All, I had my JK Unlimited X delivered here to Japan and now that a couple more have shown up, I was thinking of some mods..
Did you import an American LHD or a British RHD model?

There are loads of used vehicles shipped over from Japan to the UK every year. I think it is something to do with engine rebuilds after some ridiculously short time. Will this affect you too?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acidcrash
I have headlights. I had to remove the driving lights in the bumper to pass the JCI inspection. Driving lights must be within 20" of the end of the bumper. I got through the JCI and just reinstalled them....

So 2" inches of protrusion huh? Now I need to rethink my gameplan....

Thanks for the info...

Matt
2007 JK Unlimited X
full set Husky Liners
Grab handles all around
Neoprene Seat Covers
Mirror relocation brackets
If you care. The Australian JKs have the driving lights located towards the outside like you need from the factory. There are some pics on here. Maybe you could buy one from there? I would just get a better aftermarket bumper. But that's a thought.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 33's On 16x8 's Stick Out Past The Fender A Little. Have You Thought About Using The Stock Wheels With Your Lift And Tires.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about a 10.5in wide tire

Quick Reply: First Jeep JK Unlimited in Japan