Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First jeep! Aussie front lockers?

Old 07-09-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First jeep! Aussie front lockers?

Got my first jeep this year and I am loving it! it's a 2008 wrangler X that came with a 3 inch Skyjacker lift and currie antirock sway bar! I was reading about the Aussie front locker. I wanted a locker but dint have to much money to spend! so
they sound perfect! I have heard that snow is kinda weird with them. I live in Utah so I do get snow. is that just driving I'm some snow or snow wheeling? thanks so much!! this forum is great and I have been constantly on it!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j33p4life
Got my first jeep this year and I am loving it! it's a 2008 wrangler X that came with a 3 inch Skyjacker lift and currie antirock sway bar! I was reading about the Aussie front locker. I wanted a locker but dint have to much money to spend! so
they sound perfect! I have heard that snow is kinda weird with them. I live in Utah so I do get snow. is that just driving I'm some snow or snow wheeling? thanks so much!! this forum is great and I have been constantly on it!
I have a lockright in the front of mine(same as an aussie) It has worked tremendously well for a cheap way to lock the front. I dunno about snow, don't get much but once every 10yrs here. I've wheeled in Moab with it and can tell you the major drawback is on tight turns and switchbacks. They're good for what they are, but after all I've done now, I'd rather a selectable up front. That'll come when I get a prorock for the front.
But they do work well and if your budget is tight, they'll get you up and over obstacles easier. In snow driving, like i said, I have no personal experience.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The price is great, and they are supposed to be relatively easy to install. But, it is an auto-locker, and as you already read about, they do have issues on snow/ice - especially up front. Do some reading to get more feedback on how they perform in winter driving.

With a lack of funds, a selectable will be way out of your budget, but you might want to look at an Eaton E-locker just for comparison purposes. (electric activation, as opposed to air for the arb, and no added expense for the air source)

The other one I would suggest you look at is the Detroit TrueTrac. It is a limited, and will not perform as well as an auto-locker for wheels-in-the-air offroading, but it is a great choice for the mild wheeler, and performs very well on winter roads. Just under $400 for the d30 version at 4wd/4wp, though my installer got me one for $375. Another benefit is that it is full case, so will be much stronger than a lunchbox that is installed inside the factory d30 diff.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 AM
JK Newbie

so the Aussie is not something I'll probably get now. I live in Utah and we get a bunch of snow in the winter. I will have to look into the Detroit limited slip more! how well do they perform compared to a locker? I am wanting to go down to Moab soon and will this be ok for a stuff down there? thanks so much!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

and should I just leave the rear alone? and what's the price probably gonna be to have it installed?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

so the Aussie is not something I'll probably get now. I live in Utah and we get a bunch of snow in the winter. I will have to look into the Detroit limited slip more! how well do they perform compared to a locker? I am wanting to go down to Moab soon and will this be ok for a stuff down there? thanks so much!
There are quite a few good threads on the TrueTrac, a quick search will get you lots of reading material.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ted-slip-diffs

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=truetrac

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...28-best-locker
Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

and should I just leave the rear alone? and what's the price probably gonna be to have it installed?
Front vs rear is debated quite a bit. Some say front first, (to help 'pull' you over obstacles), my personal opinion is rear first (you are more likely to need extra traction going uphill, so more weight will be on the rear wheels) if you can only do one. If you have the funds, do both.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

but If I already have a stock limited slip in the rear why replace that before getting front?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Didn't see it mentioned above that you currently have a rear limited. If so, do the front and worry about the rear when the stock limited fails on you. (and just noticed that you posted it in the other thread, didn't catch that you were the same person. )

Last edited by nthinuf; 07-10-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

ya wait I think I do but I am not sure. I have a wrangler X 2008? does it come stock in the rear?

Quick Reply: First jeep! Aussie front lockers?