Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First experience with Cepek FC-II in snow

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First experience with Cepek FC-II in snow

Been waiting for around 8 months to try out the Dick Cepek FC-II 265/75R16 in the snow. Just got a blizzard (well they called it that... I call it just a snowstorm. The blizzard was back in 1978!) - anyway, ventured off-road at the local airport observation area, usually a dirt path, but now covered in about 9 inches of wind-swept snow. Rubi Unlimited was in 4WD high range, and I lost momentum when I slowed down to a stop to put it in low range, ended up stuck for 30 minutes, even in low range with front and rear axles locked. Finally dug out enough to free myself up, and even went around again for another pass - this time it bogged down three times but I just backed up along the tracks I made and got a running start, no problem.

The snow was right up to the frame / rock rails, and stuffed here and there around the underbody, so more lift would have helped here (just a Teraflex leveling kit, 2" front and 1" rear). But I was hoping for better snow performance from the Cepek FC-II's. In every other respect I love these tires, as I do 90% street / daily driver. Good mileage (well for a Jeep anyway), fairly quiet, good handling, etc.

Is this just the way life is, or can someone point me to a better snow tire that will also serve my needs here in Maine (mostly daily driver, some towing a trailer, some mild offroad but nothing serious, but definitely driving in New England snowy winters and not liking getting stuck)?

Would love a tire that does it all, but will consider (grudgingly) getting a set of dedicated snows.

Would consider a mud terrain (sacrificing some on-road performance) if it does well in snow.

Images show the Cepek FC-II packed with snow in my driveway. Apologies for the rotated images. Too lazy to go fix.

Last edited by mostlystock; 12-27-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mostlystock
Been waiting for around 8 months to try out the Dick Cepek FC-II 265/75R16 in the snow. Just got a blizzard (well they called it that... I call it just a snowstorm. The blizzard was back in 1978!) - anyway, ventured off-road at the local airport observation area, usually a dirt path, but now covered in about 9 inches of wind-swept snow. Rubi Unlimited was in 4WD high range, and I lost momentum when I slowed down to a stop to put it in low range, ended up stuck for 30 minutes, even in low range with front and rear axles locked. Finally dug out enough to free myself up, and even went around again for another pass - this time it bogged down three times but I just backed up along the tracks I made and got a running start, no problem.

The snow was right up to the frame / rock rails, and stuffed here and there around the underbody, so more lift would have helped here (just a Teraflex leveling kit, 2" front and 1" rear). But I was hoping for better snow performance from the Cepek FC-II's. In every other respect I love these tires, as I do 90% street / daily driver. Good mileage (well for a Jeep anyway), fairly quiet, good handling, etc.

Is this just the way life is, or can someone point me to a better snow tire that will also serve my needs here in Maine (mostly daily driver, some towing a trailer, some mild offroad but nothing serious, but definitely driving in New England snowy winters and not liking getting stuck)?

Would love a tire that does it all, but will consider (grudgingly) getting a set of dedicated snows.

Images show the Cepek FC-II packed with snow in my driveway. Apologies for the rotated images. Too lazy to go fix.

Haven't been in 9 inches of snow yet, but have been offroad in about 6 or so with my 35" Fierce Attitude MT's (offbrand made by Goodyear) and had no problems, they tore it right up. I am waiting for our lovely Indiana winter to give me a bit more snow to see how much it takes to get stuck but does not look like much more is coming in the next week or so. This is my first set of MT's so do not have much to compare them to, but I do about 90-90% road and 5-10% off.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Were you aired down at all?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not expert in snow, we barely get any...ever. But did you have the ESP on?

I've seen video where you couldn't see the tires and the JK's were going through it easily. Like I said, no expert, but something doesn't sound right.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have FC II on my Liberty and I think they are better than the BFG Mud Terrain's on my Islander in the snow. Might be getting a set for the Islander. This is the 3rd set I've had and have been pretty happy with them.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about a set of snow chains?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had these on my '06 TJ, and I loved them, I go over mountains in snow to work. On top of that, I just met the guy who bought it when I traded it in. I saw the Jeep at Walmart, and those Dick Cepeks are still on that Jeep, by which I mean the wear must be incredible
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CosmosJK11
Were you aired down at all?
No - they're at about 38 PSI. These are load range D, with a max rating of 80 PSI, and during the summer I had them at about 30 and they seemed very sluggish. Boosted them to 35 and eventually 38 towards fall, as I was pulling a 3,300 lb trailer with no weight distribution hitch, so big load on the rears. Mileage and responsiveness improved dramatically when I had them at 38. I haven't aired them down at all since then, so they're probably a little too high for the snow. I'll drop it down and see what happens - good point.

Originally Posted by db99wj
I'm not expert in snow, we barely get any...ever. But did you have the ESP on?
ESP automagically disengages in low range. Definitely off. Airing down should be an easy test.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
I had these on my '06 TJ, and I loved them, I go over mountains in snow to work. On top of that, I just met the guy who bought it when I traded it in. I saw the Jeep at Walmart, and those Dick Cepeks are still on that Jeep, by which I mean the wear must be incredible
I've heard great things about the wear on the Load Range D's (like these 265/75R16), maybe twice that of the softer C range 285/75R16. No data to back that up... just internet "wisdom" from my memory, so take it for what it's worth. If I keep these I'll certainly report back as I rack up the miles.

Originally Posted by loonies
How about a set of snow chains?
Thought about that on the trip back. Good way to get out of the stuckness, but if I take a quick jaunt off pavement it's not worth the hassle of stopping to put them on.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by winkelhawk
I have FC II on my Liberty and I think they are better than the BFG Mud Terrain's on my Islander in the snow. Might be getting a set for the Islander. This is the 3rd set I've had and have been pretty happy with them.
What PSI do you run?

I've heard other comments about these being better in the snow than the MFG Mud Terrain.

Quick Reply: First experience with Cepek FC-II in snow