Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First to do?

Old 10-07-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LillyTheWillys
Yea the Willys comes with sliders and some skid plates underneath. I've been wheeling a bit and trying to go to uwharrie to try it out stock on beginner trails and jump little by little

I'd run the Willys stock for awhile. Lifts and 35's look great but at Uwharrie you can wheel many trails stock. Last trip up there we took one bone stock jk up Dicky Bell and I've ran my basically stock JK up and down every trail other than Daniel several times. Your jeep is plenty capable with a good spotter.

I'd focus on basic recovery gear, winch, cb and good armor such as sliders and skids. Then route towards tires/suspension/gearing after you're comfortable wheeling in your rig.

Happy Jeepin'
Old 10-07-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

So great help guys thanks! But I'm not going small lift then bigger later lol. The lift will stay 3.5" metalcloak. And I plan on 35s. But it's sounding like the bumper winch and sliders upgrade should come before.
Getting descent paycheck for field op work right now hence the random $1600 then couple months after deployed sooney won't be issue afterwords lol so it'll all be getting done. Just gonna get something's for when I play the 2 months in between
Old 10-07-2016, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

So great help guys thanks! But I'm not going small lift then bigger later lol. The lift will stay 3.5" metalcloak. And I plan on 35s. But it's sounding like the bumper winch and sliders upgrade should come before. Getting descent paycheck for field op work right now hence the random $1600 then couple months after deployed sooney won't be issue afterwords lol so it'll all be getting done. Just gonna get something's for when I play the 2 months in between
Ok, just be sure to add a high steer kit and front driveshaft to the parts lift for the 3.5" because they will be needed sooner or later.

I currently run 37s on a 2.5" lift with 1.25" bumpstops on my Willys.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
Ok, just be sure to add a high steer kit and front driveshaft to the parts lift for the 3.5" because they will be needed sooner or later. I currently run 37s on a 2.5" lift with 1.25" bumpstops on my Willys.
That doesn't sit bad at all. What lift are you running
Old 10-07-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Just a question....why do you NEED a 3.5" lift? For tire clearance? Nope. Articulation? Nope. Ground clearance? Not really. I run a 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod (coil lift) with 37's and 2" bumpstops in the rear and ahve for about 5 years now. Less lift is generally better because it keeps your Jeep more stable. Most lifts will yield more than what is advertised. My 2.5" lift actually measured right at 3" of height difference. Add in what I got from going up to 37's from the stock 32" BFGs and there was quite a big difference. And I've never had any trouble clearing an obstacle due to height. And I've enver had any issues with too little articulation. Actually...I probably have too much because my front coils never stay on their perch, which means my shocks travel too far and I either need limiting straps or coil spring retainers. I'm even still running stock control arms and stock drive shafts. Food for thought.

Edit: This would've been easier if I'd had my front locker engaged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9sx0QETOlE#t=179

Last edited by SH0RTBUS; 10-07-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

That doesn't sit bad at all. What lift are you running
I have the 2.5" Rock Krawler triple rate springs.

Quick Reply: First to do?