Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First to do?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First to do?

So first time jeep owner. Looking for opinions and why.

Looking to do either a 3.5" lift first. Then tires and wheels a couple months after leaving stock Willys wheels on approximate 33s due to lack of funds haha. Or do front bumper, winch, cb setup, and fender flares.

All are approximate 1600$ which is what I have for now then add onto build. But wanted to see opinions on which route to take thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would recommend getting recovery gear, CB and armor like sliders first. Then wheel it for a while to see what you really want to do.

As for bigger tires not only will you need a taller lift for clearance but regear for performance. Keep that in mind. I ran 35's in 3.73 gears for about a year and the Jeep was doggish. I could not use 6th gear. Just a reminder.

R/
Will
Old 10-07-2016, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
I would recommend getting recovery gear, CB and armor like sliders first. Then wheel it for a while to see what you really want to do.

As for bigger tires not only will you need a taller lift for clearance but regear for performance. Keep that in mind. I ran 35's in 3.73 gears for about a year and the Jeep was doggish. I could not use 6th gear. Just a reminder.

R/
Will
Exactly this ^^^^^
Old 10-07-2016, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
I would recommend getting recovery gear, CB and armor like sliders first. Then wheel it for a while to see what you really want to do. As for bigger tires not only will you need a taller lift for clearance but regear for performance. Keep that in mind. I ran 35's in 3.73 gears for about a year and the Jeep was doggish. I could not use 6th gear. Just a reminder. R/ Will
Yea the Willys comes with sliders and some skid plates underneath. I've been wheeling a bit and trying to go to uwharrie to try it out stock on beginner trails and jump little by little
Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you do have OEM pinch seam mounted sliders which look good but offer very little protection.

I have frame mounted sliders and for me they were worth the money because I have come down hard on some rocks and did not suffer body damage.

Armor also deals with bumpers with tow points. Additionally you will need a good tow strap with out metal hooks. A tree saver and snatch block.

There is a thread and I will look for it later dealing with a members first trip to Johnson Valley. Great check list.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LillyTheWillys
Yea the Willys comes with sliders and some skid plates underneath. I've been wheeling a bit and trying to go to uwharrie to try it out stock on beginner trails and jump little by little
So Canvas speaks the truth. The OEM stuff isn't great. Several of the trails (Daniel and Dickey Bell) can get you in trouble along the rocker panels below the doors. Frame mounted sliders are the better choice.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw someone rip their stock fenders off going up "Tricky Dicky" it was a 4 door so they just threw them in the back. I laughed it was actually amusing but that's what you get for trying to stuff 35's with no lift.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the Willy's and welcome to the forum. To mirror what's been said already, recovery gear, winch, and frame mounted sliders. When I bought my 15 Willy's it came with a set of d-rings, 10k tow strap, and gloves. You can get a winch plate if you don't want to replace you bumper yet. And if you're going to 33 they should fit on the stock suspension.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

x2 on the recovery gear. It doesn't matter how built you are, the ability for self recovery is priceless. If funds are going to be a limiting issue onward, I'd recommend stopping at a 2.5" lift.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LillyTheWillys
So first time jeep owner. Looking for opinions and why.

Looking to do either a 3.5" lift first. Then tires and wheels a couple months after leaving stock Willys wheels on approximate 33s due to lack of funds haha. Or do front bumper, winch, cb setup, and fender flares.

All are approximate 1600$ which is what I have for now then add onto build. But wanted to see opinions on which route to take thanks
3.5 too tall for 33's. For $1600 you can actually get a lot.

What size do you want to go up too?

There are leveling kits out there that can you can run 35's with fender trim and wheel adapters.

Teraflex, EVO to name a few. Anywhere from $130-300. Keep the stock shocks.

Do you have an auto or manual? One forum member (My apology for not remembering) I talked to suggested using overdrive on automatic if one were to hold off on gears. I thought that was an awesome suggestion.

A Teraflex BB would be the most complete out there and you could rum 35's. I would keep the willys wheels if it were me. You could mount 35-37 12.5 17's on them and it would look incredible. Money saved on wheels. Unless you are a true rock crawler upgrade later. I find it funny jeep owners will get rid of factory wheels that go for over $300-400 each just to buy cheaper wheels. To each their own. I run the Rubi's on mine...and got cheep! Your black ones are sweet IMHO. Use the shock adapter option and keep your shocks.

I would look at bumpers with fog light option...seeing how you got them you might as well look for ones with that option. I run the Warn Rock Crawler Stubby.

Fender flare trimming are cheap and my favorite is the Cali cut.

Winch...ah the winch. I bought an ENGO...AND HAVE NEVER USED IT! It looks cool. A couple of hundred pounds cool on my bumper! Save your money and if you truly need one get a Warn maybe with the compressor option.

Alot of guys upgrade their jeeps wth very expensive mods and never use it to its potential. I would step back and evaluate what you want to do. Just because a lift advertises at 3.5 does not mean it will be that. Could be more and same with tires. a 35 is not a 35 it depends on the brand. If you do get tires look at a programmer. That can let you hold off on gearing for a while.

Most everything on my rig is slightly used. Saved a ton. I have had two sets of Rubi wheels and tires, 4 door coils, Rubi shocks, Spider adapters, and TF leveling kit for suspension. No problems. I do have a 2 door and with my set up will eventually run 35's, 315's, or 305's.

Hope this helps.

Happy modding!

Quick Reply: First to do?