Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roxj
WTF? thats what i said wednesday when i called to order mine and was told they were going to be $69 shipped. i thought $40 bucks for shipping was pretty damn steep. i was told their web guy made a mistake and put the wrong price when they were added to the website hopefully its a quality product and they come with grade 8 hardware for that kind of money.
I know at my store if my price changer/sign maker screw's up,,, I eat it. But thats just me I guess. Not fun some times but good PR.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offcamber
Not true. I've had far worse damage from wheeling repaired under warranty, but you have to prep the Service Adviser. You'd be surprised what going in ahead of time and introducing yourself to the service adviser will get you. Ask him what his favorite drink is. The next time you are in, bring him a bottle of that liquor or a case of beer if that is more his taste. The next time you come in with a bent track bar (in my case) it's repaired under warranty at no charge. Buy him another case of beer for his help. I've had axle shafts, drive shafts, and even oil pans replaced all under warranty. Oh and those were all on lifted Jeeps. They actually replaced my cv boot 3 times on my WJ because of it getting torn on the trail.

On my 2012 I called AFE Power and had them send me their Y Pipe for the 2012 JK. Exhaust issue will be solved. Don't order through a vendor, or their website, call them direct and they'll beat any price via phone.
Yep, go in first and just see if they'll take care of you. Just tell 'em whats up and agree as men about how its going to go down first. Then no suprise stock d.shafts for $400 that could have been spent on a good Coast.

My sevice advisor and the manager know me by now. I've got two Jeep so between the recalls and the maintenence that I won't do. I don't touch the WK at all!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have seen that Coast drive shafts have been mentioned a lot on this thread. What about other brands like teraflex, Tom Woods, Rubicon Express, or J.E. Reel? Basically what I am asking is what brand of replacement shaft is recommended. They seem to be about the same price.

My lift and tires are listed in my signature. Sitting on level ground right now I have about 1.5" from the bottom of the shaft to the top of the exhaust. Im going to put it on a lift and see when it hits. The dealer put on the lift and tires before I saw it and bought it so I am not worried about warranty I just don't want to mash it up on the trail.

Last edited by BlueLespaul2006; 11-10-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLespaul2006
I have seen that Coast drive shafts have been mentioned a lot on this thread. What about other brands like teraflex, Tom Woods, Rubicon Express, or J.E. Reel? Basically what I am asking is what brand of replacement shaft is recommended. They seem to be about the same price.
for the most part, drive shafts are drive shafts. some are balanced better than others and, some use higher quality u-joints. i personally recommend coast and j.e. reel over other brands because they use spicer and neapco joints as opposed to cheap chinese made ones. i've always had good luck with both companies. rubicon express has their shafts made by a company that is local to me and they do good work so i would imagine they would be good as well.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
for the most part, drive shafts are drive shafts. some are balanced better than others and, some use higher quality u-joints. i personally recommend coast and j.e. reel over other brands because they use spicer and neapco joints as opposed to cheap chinese made ones. i've always had good luck with both companies. rubicon express has their shafts made by a company that is local to me and they do good work so i would imagine they would be good as well.
Im thinking I would go with Reel or Coast if I need to replace it. I just went to my friends shop and we put it up on the lift. It seems that my drive shaft does hit the exhaust pipe but only at the extreme end of the travel. I was shocked how much travel I have with the Zone lift. In any event I think that the Teraflex spacers will work for me since the shaft hits at full extension of the suspension.

Wayoflife what did you end up doing for your new JK? The Teraflex spacers or the AFE y pipe?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to order the AFE, heard nothing but god about it, have heard a few issues with the spacers, plus some still have contact after installing them.
plus I like the idea of moving the exhaust behind the crossmember for protection
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OutlawJK
I'm going to order the AFE, heard nothing but god about it, have heard a few issues with the spacers, plus some still have contact after installing them.
plus I like the idea of moving the exhaust behind the crossmember for protection
I did not know that the AFE moved the pipe behind the cross member. With it being behind the cross member that will add a few inches of pipe to the passenger side. Did they design the drivers side to have the same extra inches added?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I chose the Adam's drive shaft from BallisticJeep.com. It was $325 with free shipping. It is made in Henderson Nevada with all spicer parts. The install was easy and the service is great. There is no reason to spend more for the same thing. Check them out before you order your shaft.

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!