Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone post the link to the teraflex spacers. I have not been able to find them???
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MVines
Can someone post the link to the teraflex spacers. I have not been able to find them???
Here it is:

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-exhaust-s...passenger.html
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't understand why Jeep ( knowing that lots of us lift them) wouldn't design them to able to be lifted without issue. Then again, now that I think about it, maybe it's their way of getting out of warranty, hoping. We lift them
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

thats probably exactly it!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can see the engineer sitting at his computer screen asking himself whether or not he should move the exhaust back just a bit to take into account the Jeepers who will no doubt lift their jeeps for better off road use and clearance....

Engineer: "Hmmm, with a few clicks of my mouse I could save a lot of 2012 Jeep owners a lot of trouble.....NAAAHHH!!!" (Save file, submit for production)

I guess the 5% of Jeep owners who go offroad weren't worth the consideration. Maybe the thought was "Bah!! You got a more HP engine, what more do you want?"
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

the exhaust cross over was moved forward to make it possible to service a manual transmission. previous JK's had the cross over directly under the drain bolt and this made it next to impossible to access without dropping the exhaust or making a custom tool to get to the bolt. this is no longer a problem but, by virtue of doing this, you now have a new set of problems when lifted. honestly, i can see why they did what they did and, while we may not be happy about it, i'm sure they felt like they were making improvements. but, that's just the way i see it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jackedup
I don't understand why Jeep ( knowing that lots of us lift them) wouldn't design them to able to be lifted without issue. Then again, now that I think about it, maybe it's their way of getting out of warranty, hoping. We lift them
Lifting a jeep does not void the warranty. If you go higher than 3.5" then suspension warranty is void, but most likely you have a new warranty on the suspension from AEV, Teraflex or whoever you choose to go with. Lifting a JK is not a big deal at all, all the obsticles are minor, I am more concerned with the ride quality...and by the way, after doing some research replacing the frond DS does not fix the exhaust issue (depending on the lift) you have to deal with the exhaust placement, either use the spacers from Terraflex or replace tubing
Old 10-06-2011, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
problem is, even if you could get it fixed under warranty, you'll just tear it off again the next time you go wheeling. a stronger drive shaft isn't what's really needed here but rather, one that's narrower in diameter. an aftermarket 1310 shaft will be narrower and will help prevent this problem from occuring again. in reality, this problem is no different than needing new wheels with less backspacing or needing to install wheel spacers when running 12.50 wide or wider tires. without them, you will have tire rub issues and enough so that you can damage the side walls of your rear tires. again, this is not a design flaw but rather, something you need to address when lifting your jeep.

Living proof right here. Dealer replaced the first one and I though "oh I'll modify for the next wheelin trip" Did not have time and tore it within 10 mins of wheelin. 1310 on the way soon. Tore the first one with 2.5" TF lift with stock shock on extenstions. Second one was on the longer bilstien shocks.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default TerraFlex exhaust spacers

http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-exhaust-s...passenger.html

Has the install video and ordering info. Looks like they are $59.99
Old 10-06-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not true. I've had far worse damage from wheeling repaired under warranty, but you have to prep the Service Adviser. You'd be surprised what going in ahead of time and introducing yourself to the service adviser will get you. Ask him what his favorite drink is. The next time you are in, bring him a bottle of that liquor or a case of beer if that is more his taste. The next time you come in with a bent track bar (in my case) it's repaired under warranty at no charge. Buy him another case of beer for his help. I've had axle shafts, drive shafts, and even oil pans replaced all under warranty. Oh and those were all on lifted Jeeps. They actually replaced my cv boot 3 times on my WJ because of it getting torn on the trail.

On my 2012 I called AFE Power and had them send me their Y Pipe for the 2012 JK. Exhaust issue will be solved. Don't order through a vendor, or their website, call them direct and they'll beat any price via phone.

Originally Posted by wayoflife
unfortunately, this is NOT a design flaw and i can assure you that you will NOT be able to get this covered under warranty. from the factory, the only thing they can insure is that factory components will work with factory components. by lifting your jeep, you have effectly changed the circumstances and, it clearly is the cause of your drive shaft boot failure. if you've seen any of the underneath shots i posted, you would know that there is just barely enough room between the front drive shaft boot and the exhaust cross over at a full droop on a 2012 without ANY lift. once lifted, you really need to invest in an after market u-joint style drive shaft and, depending on how much droop you have, you will need to have the exhaust cross over pushed back a couple of inches as well.

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!