Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dinojeep
Good timing on this thread. I just installed a RK 3.5 x factor on my 09 2 dr. It looks like when I go to flex out I'm going to be ripping my front DS boot. I thought my front DS would be ok on my 2dr?
Any suggestions?
as has been stated a few times now, pick up a 1310 drive shaft like the kind coast makes and, if you can, find an exhaust shop to help push back the exhaust cross over so that it sits closer to the tranny cross member.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess thats all that's left to do. I just thought I would be more concerned about the rear on my 2dr than the front. I have a 6 speed. I thought 6 speeds were ok in the front?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

I went to my local shop and asked for a 4" lift and they said 2.5" max lift with stock drive shaft. For anything higher, need to buy CV style front shaft or modify exhaust before cat, which is a legal "no-no". Then I searched forums and saw that even at 2.5" lift there is not enough clearance. Then it made me ask, what other kinds of yet unforseen problems are we going to have modding the 2012's?

As much as I want to lift it, I'm holding off for now. I'm getting bumpers, wiches, flairs, 15" wheels, oversized tires, but waiting until my next set of tires before I decide to lift because of Way of Life's warranty thread and to see if I have a lemon, or a robust rig that can handle a pounding.

Last edited by Phimosis; 10-02-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by moblur
I just put a 3"Full Traction lift on a 2012 JKUR and I had to swap out the front DS to a smaller diameter one. Even now it just barely touches at full drop when the jeep was on the lift but looks like it will do the trick for wheeling.

That exhaust route on the 2012 is crazy... It makes sense but sure isn't elegant.
If your running the Bilstein 5100's we sell with the kit, its very very close. It will not hit. We tested this with 1310 JE Reel driveshafts.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by moblur
I just put a 3"Full Traction lift on a 2012 JKUR and I had to swap out the front DS to a smaller diameter one. Even now it just barely touches at full drop when the jeep was on the lift but looks like it will do the trick for wheeling.

That exhaust route on the 2012 is crazy... It makes sense but sure isn't elegant.
Originally Posted by Phimosis
I went to my local shop and asked for a 4" lift and they said 2.5" max lift with stock drive shaft. For anything higher, need to buy CV style front shaft or modify exhaust before cat, which is a legal "no-no". Then I searched forums and saw that even at 2.5" lift there is not enough clearance. Then it made me ask, what other kinds of yet unforseen problems are we going to have modding the 2012's?

As much as I want to lift it, I'm holding off for now. I'm getting bumpers, wiches, flairs, 15" wheels, oversized tires, but waiting until my next set of tires before I decide to lift because of Way of Life's warranty thread and to see if I have a lemon, or a robust rig that can handle a pounding.
Stop by our Shop and lets talk. Even at 2.5" of lift its going to have an issue. Its all about shock length, not lift height. We just built a 2012 and have another one coming in very soon.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I am being real. I have 3" of lift on my JKU and don't need a drive shaft, to rework my exhaust tubing, buy a new mount to move some kind of vacuum pump no one knows what is for, being able to regear without going into limp mode, etc. Yes modding is half the fun and with any new model their are going to be things that have to be worked around. But with that said I am very happy with my decision of my 11 over a 12. ( I could have bought either and an extra $1000.00 wouldn't have killed me to get the 12) All of the aftermarket is pretty much wrapped up for the 2007-2011 other than being able to break the code on the ecm for 2011. Seeing all of the problems people are running into modding their 12's right now just makes me feel more at peace with my buying decision. I am in no way bashing the 12 model as I know all of this will be worked out over time and wish all of you new 12 owners luck.
I would rather take the extra horsepower in the 2012 and deal with small exhaust tubing problem than driving in a way underpowered 2011jk, just saying not hating. If you lift the old jk's more than 3.5" your have front ds problems anyway.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Well, I checked today after a wheeling trip last weekend and with less than 1000 miles on the new rig, the boot is torn. It clearly hits the cross over exhaust pipe. This is a design flaw for sure. I guess I need a new front shaft or rebuild the exhaust. What are the chances this will be covered under warranty?
Here is the fix for this issue, part number 49-46215, this y pipe is designed to accommodate aftermarket lift kits: http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...?id=17121+0300
afe y-pipe for 2012 wrangler
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by alexjk
Here is the fix for this issue, part number 49-46215, this y pipe is designed to accommodate aftermarket lift kits: http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...?id=17121+0300
Hmmm,, I'd like to se that on a jeep.
I ordered my new drive shaft yesterday. I think I will see just how bad things are after I install that.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I've got to replace the front DS on my JKU.

Probably go with this:
http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...-1310-JK-FRONT

Anyone done this themselves? How difficult is it to change the yokes out? Do you need a special puller?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alexjk
good find, but I would rather try the teraflex exhaust spacers for $30 bucks and see what those are all about before spending that much.

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!