Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider
Just left a message for my parts guy on a 1310 front drive shaft and a JKS adjustable track bar. I think I will go up the the shop and take a look at the exhaust cross over.
This place is great
Get it

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...-1310-JK-FRONT
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on,, be real,,, throw a 3 1/2 or larger lift,, and a set of 37's on your 2011 and leave everything else stock and see what you tear up.

And DANG-IT,, I was hoping with this unlimited that I wouldn't have a drive shaft issue like I did with the 2dr. Oh well,,, modding is half the fun. I will be watching this thread very close.

You know whats sad,, when your ordering your lift and you ask the question (is there ANYTHING else I will need) and you get the answer,, nothing. THEN you figure out,, oh,, I need a adjustable track bar,, OH,, I need a new drive shaft,,, OH I need longer brake lines ect. You might just buy all that stuff at one time and move on instead of limiting your wheeling while you wait for more parts. Oh well,, buyer beware. I'm not really bitchin,,, just sayin LOL!!!!
I am being real. I have 3" of lift on my JKU and don't need a drive shaft, to rework my exhaust tubing, buy a new mount to move some kind of vacuum pump no one knows what is for, being able to regear without going into limp mode, etc. Yes modding is half the fun and with any new model their are going to be things that have to be worked around. But with that said I am very happy with my decision of my 11 over a 12. ( I could have bought either and an extra $1000.00 wouldn't have killed me to get the 12) All of the aftermarket is pretty much wrapped up for the 2007-2011 other than being able to break the code on the ecm for 2011. Seeing all of the problems people are running into modding their 12's right now just makes me feel more at peace with my buying decision. I am in no way bashing the 12 model as I know all of this will be worked out over time and wish all of you new 12 owners luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I am being real. I have 3" of lift on my JKU and don't need a drive shaft, to rework my exhaust tubing, buy a new mount to move some kind of vacuum pump no one knows what is for, being able to regear without going into limp mode, etc. Yes modding is half the fun and with any new model their are going to be things that have to be worked around. But with that said I am very happy with my decision of my 11 over a 12. ( I could have bought either and an extra $1000.00 wouldn't have killed me to get the 12) All of the aftermarket is pretty much wrapped up for the 2007-2011 other than being able to break the code on the ecm for 2011. Seeing all of the problems people are running into modding their 12's right now just makes me feel more at peace with my buying decision. I am in no way bashing the 12 model as I know all of this will be worked out over time and wish all of you new 12 owners luck.
I certainly understand your reasoning. And congrats on your ride
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was in the same boat. I knew the 12 was being upgraded but got the 11 because it was there and I cash in hand. But I'm 110% happy with my decision.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Starting to get a bit off topic,, sorry Dlampe. So,, here are a couple pictures of the cross over area on the 2012. Just how far would it have to move back? Not a lot of room there.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those pictures tell the story. That little bit of difference by moving it 2 inches back will help fix the problem. I think the drive shaft is the best solution but the pipe will likely need to be moved just to make sure it's done right.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

I just put a 3"Full Traction lift on a 2012 JKUR and I had to swap out the front DS to a smaller diameter one. Even now it just barely touches at full drop when the jeep was on the lift but looks like it will do the trick for wheeling.

That exhaust route on the 2012 is crazy... It makes sense but sure isn't elegant.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Those pictures tell the story. That little bit of difference by moving it 2 inches back will help fix the problem. I think the drive shaft is the best solution but the pipe will likely need to be moved just to make sure it's done right.
exactly. if you look at an 07-11 JK, that cross over pipe sits right next to the tranny cross member. that 2" shift back really does make a big difference.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

one other thing i see in this pic that should be of concern is the boot on your output shaft cv joint. as you will notice, it is sitting at an extreme state of pinch and, this will cause it to fail way sooner than later. once compromised, there will be nothing left to hold the grease inside and that will cause the bearing to fail. yet one more reason why you will want to install an aftermarket u-joint style shaft.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Good timing on this thread. I just installed a RK 3.5 x factor on my 09 2 dr. It looks like when I go to flex out I'm going to be ripping my front DS boot. I thought my front DS would be ok on my 2dr?
Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!