Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-02-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do folks not use header wrap on the exhaust areas in question? Does it now help enough?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Hmmm interesting. Sound like this might be addressed by the time gecko comes out.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chknkatsu
its not a design flaw the stock exhaust placement is meant for a stock height vehicle with a stock drive shaft. and a 3.5" in my eyes is pretty high. i hate it when people modify their jeeps and they blame Jeep when something doesn't work out the way they wanted to. that is like blaming a deodorant company because you got a rash from putting deodorant on your neck
chknkatsu,

You are correct, I misspoke. It isn't a design flaw. I have read posts in the past were dealers have covered this type of thing under warranty. I don't think they have to but some have. I know when you change your Jeep with aftermarket stuff, you need to make some adjustments. It is more about my frustration with myself for not catching it when I had the Jeep in my shop. If I wasn't so impatient, I could have relocated the exhaust and not been in the market for a drive shaft.

What I don't understand is what makes a person feel compelled to post on a thread and chastise someone they don't know or have never met? Does that somehow make you feel senior to other posters? Let me tell you what I hate, I hate it when people jump on a thread and just long enough to jump up on their soap box and give a quick lecture.

My thread, my soapbox.

Now, back to the drive shaft. Which ones are in the smaller diameter format?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:04 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Now, back to the drive shaft. Which ones are in the smaller diameter format?
a 1310 is what you'll be wanting. it's narrower, has a thicker tube and, won't have a boot to get torn off. even with it, i suspect you still might have some contact between the shaft and the cross over but, it should be much and it shouldn't matter. to completely eliminate any contact, the cross over will need to be moved back toward the tranny cross member.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I'll take less horsepower out of my 11 and worry less about tearing my sheet up. I feel happy with my decision and even at peace now
Come on,, be real,,, throw a 3 1/2 or larger lift,, and a set of 37's on your 2011 and leave everything else stock and see what you tear up.

And DANG-IT,, I was hoping with this unlimited that I wouldn't have a drive shaft issue like I did with the 2dr. Oh well,,, modding is half the fun. I will be watching this thread very close.

You know whats sad,, when your ordering your lift and you ask the question (is there ANYTHING else I will need) and you get the answer,, nothing. THEN you figure out,, oh,, I need a adjustable track bar,, OH,, I need a new drive shaft,,, OH I need longer brake lines ect. You might just buy all that stuff at one time and move on instead of limiting your wheeling while you wait for more parts. Oh well,, buyer beware. I'm not really bitchin,,, just sayin LOL!!!!

Last edited by hdrider; 10-02-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider
And DANG-IT,, I was hoping with this unlimited that I wouldn't have a drive shaft issue like I did with the 2dr. Oh well,,, modding is half the fun. I will be watching this thread very close.
even on an 07-11 JK, you still had this exact same problem with the front drive shaft, only the boot would get torn off when it made contact with the lip of the tranny pan. and i might add, this was REGARDLESS if you had a 2-door or unlimited as they both had the exact same front drive shaft configuration. the only difference was if you had an auto or 6-speed as the later didn't have this issue. of course, now both have the same issue thanks to the exhaust cross over placement and new steeper drive line angle. 2-doors always have rear drive shaft issues due to the fact that they're so short.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

funny, i couldn't find this on their website.

i have to wonder how this will effect everything else down the line, exhaust hangers, isolators, etc.

edit: duh!! i just looked again and saw there was a "description" link
LOL yeah it took me about 15 minutes of searching their website until I figured out to click on the description tab. Strange thing is, it says not available until Nov but you can add it to your cart now.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hdrider
Come on,, be real,,, throw a 3 1/2 or larger lift,, and a set of 37's on your 2011 and leave everything else stock and see what you tear up.
Exactly but even with less lift then 3 1/2.. and w/o big tires...

2011, 32's stock tires, 2 1/2" lift and the boot tore when the clamp hit the tranny,,, put a small dent in the tranny..... so if it's replaced with another stock DS next time who bad does it hit and ding the tranny... .... no thanks...

Solution...
Coast 1310...
Problem solved...
Call it a mod due to a Mod.... it's part of the Jeep Thing.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

yep I have an '11 JKU Rubicon with about 4" lift and got the Coast 1310 front DS. Peace of mind having it there is well worth the money spent. Still have my stocker and I saw nothing visibly wrong with it but I knew it was just a matter of time
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

Just left a message for my parts guy on a 1310 front drive shaft and a JKS adjustable track bar. I think I will go up the the shop and take a look at the exhaust cross over.
This place is great

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!