Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:05 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeeep
bummer - my vendor suggested I replace front DS with my 3.5" lift, boot rubs during articulation but also suggested I wait until it does.

Dealer warranty is a long shot. But now you know front DS needs stonger aftermarket, also take it to articulation ramp to see if it still hits the crossover pipe.

Last thing you want to do is smash that pipe out wheeling.

WOL types faster than I do...
problem is, even if you could get it fixed under warranty, you'll just tear it off again the next time you go wheeling. a stronger drive shaft isn't what's really needed here but rather, one that's narrower in diameter. an aftermarket 1310 shaft will be narrower and will help prevent this problem from occuring again. in reality, this problem is no different than needing new wheels with less backspacing or needing to install wheel spacers when running 12.50 wide or wider tires. without them, you will have tire rub issues and enough so that you can damage the side walls of your rear tires. again, this is not a design flaw but rather, something you need to address when lifting your jeep.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just making an order on the Teraflex web site and noticed in November they're releasing exhaust spacers for the 2012 to address this very issue.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by LARK
Was just making an order on the Teraflex web site and noticed in November they're releasing exhaust spacers for the 2012 to address this very issue.
don't know exactly how these "spacers" would work but, if they lower the exhaust, i don't think it's something i'd want to do. if you have an auto, i think the better answer would be to modify and push the cross over back toward the tranny cross member just like the 07-11's had.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

just looked at their website to see what these "spacers" were all about and honetly, i have no idea how you could have come to the conclusion that they are designed to "address this very issue". in fact, there's nothing in the description to suggest exactly what they are for or how they would work.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

[SUB]"AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 1st!!! Exhaust spacers are needed for all 2012 model JK Wranglers using Teraflex suspension kits with 3 or more inches of lift. The spacers are installed between the driver and passenger head pipe flanges and the flanges of the cross pipe, which moves the exhaust cross pipe rearward. This prevents contact between the front driveshaft and the exhaust cross pipe during suspension down travel. The 2.5 inch suspension kit will also need the spacers for the next few months. The long-term plan is to shorten the shocks on the 2.5 inch kit by .3 inches in order to prevent drive shaft droop onto the stock exhaust without spacers, but until this change in the shocks is implemented, the spacers will be needed."[/SUB]
Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm loving my 07' more and more every day!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by roxj
[SUB]"AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 1st!!! Exhaust spacers are needed for all 2012 model JK Wranglers using Teraflex suspension kits with 3 or more inches of lift. The spacers are installed between the driver and passenger head pipe flanges and the flanges of the cross pipe, which moves the exhaust cross pipe rearward. This prevents contact between the front driveshaft and the exhaust cross pipe during suspension down travel. The 2.5 inch suspension kit will also need the spacers for the next few months. The long-term plan is to shorten the shocks on the 2.5 inch kit by .3 inches in order to prevent drive shaft droop onto the stock exhaust without spacers, but until this change in the shocks is implemented, the spacers will be needed."[/SUB]
funny, i couldn't find this on their website.

i have to wonder how this will effect everything else down the line, exhaust hangers, isolators, etc.

edit: duh!! i just looked again and saw there was a "description" link

Last edited by wayoflife; 10-01-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
problem is, even if you could get it fixed under warranty, you'll just tear it off again the next time you go wheeling. a stronger drive shaft isn't what's really needed here but rather, one that's narrower in diameter. an aftermarket 1310 shaft will be narrower and will help prevent this problem from occuring again. in reality, this problem is no different than needing new wheels with less backspacing or needing to install wheel spacers when running 12.50 wide or wider tires. without them, you will have tire rub issues and enough so that you can damage the side walls of your rear tires. again, this is not a design flaw but rather, something you need to address when lifting your jeep.
yea - should've thrown narrower in there. I have Coast on order and looking pics of wall thickness, it's narrower and looks thicker walled than stock.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Well, I checked today after a wheeling trip last weekend and with less than 1000 miles on the new rig, the boot is torn. It clearly hits the cross over exhaust pipe. This is a design flaw for sure. I guess I need a new front shaft or rebuild the exhaust. What are the chances this will be covered under warranty?
its not a design flaw the stock exhaust placement is meant for a stock height vehicle with a stock driveshaft. and a 3.5" in my eyes is pretty high. i hate it when people modify their jeeps and they blame Jeep when something doesnt work out the way they wanted to. that is like blaming a deodorant company because you got a rash from putting deodorant on your neck
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take less horsepower out of my 11 and worry less about tearing my sheet up. I feel happy with my decision and even at peace now

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!