Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!

Well, I checked today after a wheeling trip last weekend and with less than 1000 miles on the new rig, the boot is torn. It clearly hits the cross over exhaust pipe. This is a design flaw for sure. I guess I need a new front shaft or rebuild the exhaust. What are the chances this will be covered under warranty?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

that stinks man, i would definitely take it in and see what they say, lifted/tires/wheels?? good luck with it, keep us updated.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, its lifted. I have a 3.5 RC lift. It really isn't that tall.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This is a design flaw for sure.
It would be a design flaw if it happened in the stock configuration. A 3.5" lift isn't stock.

The warranty depends on your dealership. Some will warranty the shaft. And others willl, rightly, point at the lift and say tough luck. But, why would you want to replace the stock shaft with another stock shaft that will just rub and tear again the next time you go out?? And the time after that?? And the time after that?? Do some cutting and moving, or swap to a narrower shaft.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And a stronger aftermarket driveshaft!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dlampe
Well, I checked today after a wheeling trip last weekend and with less than 1000 miles on the new rig, the boot is torn. It clearly hits the cross over exhaust pipe. This is a design flaw for sure. I guess I need a new front shaft or rebuild the exhaust. What are the chances this will be covered under warranty?

2 door or unlimited?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's an unlimited. I would like to get it fixed and change the exhaust. How much is a front shaft? Any recommendations?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Same thing happened to mine ... with in 1000 miles
Old 10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

unfortunately, this is NOT a design flaw and i can assure you that you will NOT be able to get this covered under warranty. from the factory, the only thing they can insure is that factory components will work with factory components. by lifting your jeep, you have effectly changed the circumstances and, it clearly is the cause of your drive shaft boot failure. if you've seen any of the underneath shots i posted, you would know that there is just barely enough room between the front drive shaft boot and the exhaust cross over at a full droop on a 2012 without ANY lift. once lifted, you really need to invest in an after market u-joint style drive shaft and, depending on how much droop you have, you will need to have the exhaust cross over pushed back a couple of inches as well.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

bummer - my vendor suggested I replace front DS with my 3.5" lift, boot rubs during articulation but also suggested I wait until it does.

Dealer warranty is a long shot. But now you know front DS needs stonger aftermarket, also take it to articulation ramp to see if it still hits the crossover pipe.

Last thing you want to do is smash that pipe out wheeling.

WOL types faster than I do...

Quick Reply: First 2012 drive shaft boot torn!