Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Firestone Destination M/T or Pro Comp Mud

Old 05-02-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Destination M/T or Pro Comp Mud

I should of bought a mud tire from the start instead of getting the BF TA KOs. I've limited the choice between Firestone Destination M/T and the Pro Comp Mud Terrains in 265-75-16. I've read good and bad about both, but more good for the Firestones. I asked a guy who was a hardcore Jeeper about Pro Comp and he referred to them as "pro crap." Opinions.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Never used Procomps. Have Destination M/Ts on mine, and they work just fine. No louder than the K/Ms were.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have a lot of folks knock the Firestones, but I've purchased 4 new sets of Firestone truck tires over the past 10 years and have been very satisfied with all of them. I'd definitely choose the Destination M/T over the ProComp tires. Both are good tires, but in the event you had trouble on the road or tore one up on the trail, you'll have ready access to a replacement Firestone tire, where you'll be ordering a ProComp.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend is running the Firestone MTs on his Xterra and loves them. I would have bought them if they had a 35" tire back in 07 when I got my first JK.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

No experience with the Firestones but I cant say enough good things about the Pro Comp Xtreme M/T's. Currently we're running 37's w/o issues.... No regrets!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same two tire choices and I went with the Pro Comps because the came in a D-rated tire, where as the Firestones only came in an E-rated for 33" tires. If the Firestone 33's were D-rated, I would have went with them.

The Pro Comps have been great so far. Good on the street, and good off road in sand, mud, rocks. They have a more traditional mud terrain tread, which is fine with me; they work.

From what I've seen on the net, heavier vehicles that run the Pro Comps aired way down, have had problems tearing the sidewall of the tire. What can you say about that? Other D-rated tires would probably have the same issue.

When they wear out, I'll probably replace them with Firestone 35", D-rated.

I would go for the best price of the two, if you don't care about the D-rated vs E-rated thing.

You can see some wheelin' pics and video here, to see how the Pro Comps fared (which was very well).
Old 05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Firestone Destination MT's in 315/75/16 and love them. I've had the BFG AT's and MT's (KM1's) prior and I like these the best. I don't have any problems sliding around in the rain, which surprised me. I don't know if that is due to the tire compound or our exceptionally weak engine
Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

I no this is not one of your choices but I just bought a set of Dick Cepek Mud Countrys a few weeks ago, I have not had them off road but on the street they are very well behaved. Very little road noise they balanced up well and they handle great. Just my
Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I traded my Pro Comp M/T's in 33x12.5 for these Goodyear Dura Trac A/T's in the same size and love them so far... No noise at all which I kind of miss but thay stick like glue and are even great in the rain. They also clear out like a mudder. Have not tested the sidewalls yet but I will soon enough. For the record though I had zero problems with my Pro Comps and wheeled them hard!

If you do more road than trail look in to these, just a thought.

Pro Comps
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX3987.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	23516
Dura Tracs
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX3994.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	23517Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX3995.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	23518Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX3996.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	23519
Old 05-03-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

The Firestone Destination M/Ts are the best mud tires available on the market. Go to any tire site and read the reviews, you'll find nothing but glowing reports about these tires.

BTW, what are the main advantages of D tires vs. E tires?

Quick Reply: Firestone Destination M/T or Pro Comp Mud