Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Finish with RK contol arms or sell

Old 01-02-2017, 02:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Yes this is why I'm switching to them. The metal cloak is also very low maintenance. I greased my RK joints religiously every 5k miles and am very anal about maintaining my rig. They didn't hold up great and the rubber ends are really shot. RK offered to "upgrade" me to their latest arms at a discount which was pretty much the cost of synergy arms on sale so I'm going that way instead. I'm not willing to put more $ into RK products at this point. They have a bad track record on joints so far lol
No i understand but i do have faith in the double retainer revision. I like the flex joint, simple design with no bind. Having a washer on one side was not a good idea from the get go.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the point in the thread where I push JKS J-Axis' design lmfao.

No maintenance rubber bushings + no bind where it matters most (puts the limit of flex where it should be on the shocks, sways, + bumpstops and let's them do their job in my view) + zinc / powder coated....although not as easy on the wallet. Buy once, cry once.

I do like Synergy's ease of adjustment but in reality, how often are you adjusting the lengths? You set it once and forget it. I've only adjusted my Synergy tie rod and trackbar once and that was at install. Haven't touched them since in almost 4 years aside from greasing the joints at oil change.

Last edited by DJ1; 01-02-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Here's the point in the thread where I push JKS J-Axis' design lmfao. No maintenance rubber bushings + no bind where it matters most (puts the limit of flex where it should be on the shocks, sways, + bumpstops and let's them do their job in my view) + zinc / powder coated....although not as easy on the wallet. Buy once, cry once. I do like Synergy's ease of adjustment but in reality, how often are you adjusting the lengths? You set it once and forget it. I've only adjusted my Synergy tie rod and trackbar once and that was at install. Haven't touched them since in almost 4 years aside from greasing the joints at oil change. .
Price kills my opinion on those lol
Old 01-02-2017, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Here's the point in the thread where I push JKS J-Axis' design lmfao.

No maintenance rubber bushings + no bind where it matters most (puts the limit of flex where it should be on the shocks, sways, + bumpstops and let's them do their job in my view) + zinc / powder coated....although not as easy on the wallet. Buy once, cry once.

I do like Synergy's ease of adjustment but in reality, how often are you adjusting the lengths? You set it once and forget it. I've only adjusted my Synergy tie rod and trackbar once and that was at install. Haven't touched them since in almost 4 years aside from greasing the joints at oil change.

The ease of adjustment is nice when you need it. It's also a lot easier to deal with on initial install you don't have to worry about the joints turning while torquing jam nuts. The price is about the same so why not get the easier to set ones?

And although I have not had to adjust my synergy trackbar since install, I have had to adjust my tie rod a few times. It takes some hits and the toe changes! If you haven't adjusted it in 4 years and you wheel in the rocks you might want to check your toe lol
Old 01-02-2017, 03:30 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Price kills my opinion on those lol
Like I said, buy once, cry once lol...

Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having never heard of the J axis control arms before I just googled them. Damn those are some pricey arms! It appears there is no jam nut? So the arms thread together and never have a means to tighten them and are always free to rotate?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:41 PM
DJ1
Former Member

The ease of adjustment is nice when you need it. It's also a lot easier to deal with on initial install you don't have to worry about the joints turning while torquing jam nuts. The price is about the same so why not get the easier to set ones?

And although I have not had to adjust my synergy trackbar since install, I have had to adjust my tie rod a few times. It takes some hits and the toe changes! If you haven't adjusted it in 4 years and you wheel in the rocks you might want to check your toe lol

No jam nuts on the JKS design hence the no bind on essentially 360 degrees on a single axis. I actually set the lengths based on Metalcloaks recommendation. I only set the length once prior to install, then slapped them in. Set up completed on my driveway but did have to use a ratchet strap which was no biggie.

Pinion angles were perfect. Rear pinion is about a degree off at ride height (no load) to compensate the pinion rotating up under load to keep the rear DC shaft in line.

I really couldn't be happier with the install. Plus limited lifetime warranty on the JKS.

*Regarding the tie rod, mine is actually about 3/16" off it's original indicator mark that I pen-painted on there. I've just been too lazy to adjust it back lol......

Last edited by DJ1; 01-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Having never heard of the J axis control arms before I just googled them. Damn those are some pricey arms! It appears there is no jam nut? So the arms thread together and never have a means to tighten them and are always free to rotate?

That is correct and there is a TON of thread to give on the mating halves. It's not like you're only dealing with an inch of thread to keep them together....

They come pre-greased and have zirks so you just maintain like everything else with your grease gun (aftermarket drive shaft, tie-rod/trackbar/drag link ends, etc.) No "special" grease needed...

Last edited by DJ1; 01-02-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Those are good arms, I ran them for a couple years before I went to a long arm set up. Just give them a shot of grease once in a while. The price has more then doubled since I ran them and is why you don't see too many people running them today.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Holy shit those are insanely prices

Quick Reply: Finish with RK contol arms or sell