Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fine tuning the steering after 3" Teraflex lift

Old 10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fine tuning the steering after 3" Teraflex lift

It's been about 4 days since I had my JK lifted with a Teraflex 3" lift kit along with a few other things like the TF front adj trackbar, a full set of Superlift adj control arms and a set of 1350 driveshafts(front not yet installed). I'm waiting to install a dual SS from Rough country, but first I want to make sure that everything else is dialed in.

So far no vibes, no serious bump steer, no death wooble and handles better than expected but my JK tends to drift to the left ever so slightly when I let go of the steering wheel on a straigh flat road. Yes, I did take it for a alignment and to my disbelief I was told that I didn't need to align because everything was with in the recommended specs for a lifted Jk with 35" tires.

What else could it be or I'm just being anal?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Here are some pics.

Front end
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010568.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	13637
Passenger side

Name:	PA010569.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	13638
Drivers side

Name:	PA010571.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	13639
Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Looks Good! Check your tire pressure. Is your steering wheel centered?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Augie
Looks Good! Check your tire pressure. Is your steering wheel centered?
Yes

For some reason the driver side wheel looks tilted inward to me. Like the camber has changed somewhat. I know that camber can't be changed in a JK and if it does change its because something is damaged, like a bent axel.

Name:	PA010571.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	13653
Old 10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

You might try a different alignment shop. It looks good in the pics, but hard to tell sometimes by eyeballing it. Also, make sure the alignment shop checks your thrust angle alignment.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
jpp
JK Enthusiast

You might try measuring the lengths of all the control arms and make sure they are the EXACT length on the left as they are on the right. You could be a half turn different in the adjustment from one side to the other.

Also, you can mesure the distance between the front and rear axle on both sides to be sure they are sitting parallel to each other.

These are the two things I would start with...
Old 10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jpp
You might try measuring the lengths of all the control arms and make sure they are the EXACT length on the left as they are on the right. You could be a half turn different in the adjustment from one side to the other.

Also, you can mesure the distance between the front and rear axle on both sides to be sure they are sitting parallel to each other.

These are the two things I would start with...
Well, I don't think that I can get half a turn with these control arms. It would have to be a full turn. Then again I might be wrong, but I will check the lengths and then take it from there. I will also check to see if the axels are parallel as you suggested. Thanks
Old 10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
You might try a different alignment shop. It looks good in the pics, but hard to tell sometimes by eyeballing it. Also, make sure the alignment shop checks your thrust angle alignment.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the thrust angle alignment?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I got the Teraflex Adj. front track bar on my rig the tracking is much better now. It does not wonder at all. And no bump steer.

With that said, the only thing I see different between your set up and mine is the Superlift Adj. lower control arms. I would check to see if their length matches first.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the thrust angle alignment?
Below is a link for every aspect of alignment. About half way down is the thrust angle explination. I had it done once on my TJ. Just a thought.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

Quick Reply: Fine tuning the steering after 3" Teraflex lift