Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Finally made up my mind

Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally made up my mind

I've been trying to decide whether or not I wanted to go with the BFG A/T KO2s or the Duratracs, but I think I finally made up my mind. 275/70R17 BFG A/T KO2s on stock 17" wheels.

I'm also going to replace my stock Sport suspension with a friends Rubicon suspension (for free).

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both tires are pretty comparable though Duratracs I think are a little more expensive and heavier. I had the BFGs and loved them. Quiet. Good on most terrain though mud doesn't spin off as easily. Snow isn't bad. Rain was MUCH better than the ProComps I went to when I put on my 35s. The ProComps were a lot cheaper but now I know they're not worth the savings. When I get a new set I'm going with the Goodyear MT/R Kevlars. Can't wait.

As for the suspension swap, I had a buddy do that and it turned out just fine. I do recommend the Teraflex leveling kit if you don't already have it. Great upgrade.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK703
I've been trying to decide whether or not I wanted to go with the BFG A/T KO2s or the Duratracs, but I think I finally made up my mind. 275/70R17 BFG A/T KO2s on stock 17" wheels.

I'm also going to replace my stock Sport suspension with a friends Rubicon suspension (for free).

The k02's are the way to go! Duratrac may have better bite in mud but I daily my rig and can't stand tire noise... I run 315/75/16 and they are a great fit... Tires are a big purchase... You wana get the right size the first time... I think 275's are too small especially if you're going to lift it...i would run 305's 33's...you should even look at 35's but it's a different ball game there....hioe this helps
Old 07-28-2015, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

I swapped out my stock SRAs for the BFGs. Mine are 285 70 R17, D rated. The ride is definitely rougher and the of course mpg takes a hit. Also, I was bummed to discover that they are stiff even when aired down, didn't float on sand very well at all (the stockers of course were great when aired down on sand, but useless in even a tiny bit of mud). I've considered trying to unload them since the ride is so rough, but I think that they have gotten a bit more compliant with time. I have a good 25k on them now, rotating regularly with the spare. Seems like almost new, plenty of life left.

On the plus side, they are completely bulletproof, so I don't sweat the sharp rocks in places like Death Valley aand the Joshua tree mining trails. Also, they are pretty quiet.

Upshot is that I wouldn't buy them again. Wish they had a softer tireideally with a 33 inch diameter, and 10 inch footprint, but with a KO 2 tread.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

BFG run small I would go with the 34x10.5/17 KO2. It measures 32.25" mounted with 35psi. I like how they feel on and offroad but am disappointed with how small they actually are.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK703

I would compare the labels on your springs before exchanging them. They might not be an upgrade. The shocks would be a good idea though.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P

I would compare the labels on your springs before exchanging them. They might not be an upgrade. The shocks would be a good idea though.
I believe there the exact same 👆👆
Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

Just bought tires Thursday. I went with Duratracs. Did a lot of research between Ko2's and dura's. Both great tires people who had more snow to deal with seemed to favour dura's and they were on sale 20% off. Don't think you could go wrong either way. If you are swapping the spring put at least a leveling kit or budget boost in and go 33's. It looks great. Not trying to mess with you but I just bought 315 70 17 after running 285 70 Mtr's for a couple years.

Tires aren't cheap check every jeep you see that you like a check the tire size. I've had four sets of tires and three sets of rims on my jk that is less than 3 years old!!
Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, so I bought the 275/70R17 KO2s yesterday....they were ordered and coming in today, but I think I'm going to cancel the order. Had instant buyers remorse. Hard to get excited for the exact same size tire as what you have just with an All-Terrain tread especially when my old jeep had 3" lift and 34" tires... :(

I think I'm going to take some of y'alls advice and go after the actual 33" size.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

I went with KO2s 285/70/17 and they are great! Perfect size for me, very low noise, and are plenty big imo.

Quick Reply: Finally made up my mind