Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Final tire decision...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Final tire decision...

Well guys what do you think of this setup. Here is what I am gonna do. 33x10.5xR16 Nitto mudgrapplers. I am going to go with procomp 8179 wheels. Do I need the 16 x 8 inch or the 16 x 10 inch rims? They have 4.5 inch backspacing so should that help with the rubbing? Does it hurt to go with a 10.5 tire over a 12.5 tire? I plan on getting a lift after vacation, but right now I will run them with no lift? Could I break something or ruin the body of my jeep doing this? Any help would be appreciated. Most of my driving will be on pavement or dirt roads right now. Until I get the lift.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal driving was done with mine on no lift an 33"x12.50....shouldn't be a problem...i wouldn't flex the suspension much otherwise you'll rub pretty good....nothing should be damaged.

...Personally i wouldn't get the MudGrappler, but thats just my opinion....they look great and handle pretty well in the mud but if you drive them on the road they wear pretty fast...soft rubber...not to mention their kinda over priced...but that is just my opinion because alot of people seem to find a good use for them and have them....me I've just aways gone everywhere with my BFGs.

...I am running a 12.50 on a 8 inch rim...if you ever intend to air down your tires to increase traction while wheeling i would suggest getting a rim set up like mine...the tire has less of a change of blowing a bead and curling off the rim (or just getting bead locks) ....either way on a 10.50 tire an 8in rim is perfect...

...i'm not sure of the backspacing i went with 3.75, works perfect for me...

Good Luck you'll love it no matter what you decide!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up getting the Mickey Thompson baja claws. I got 4 right off the bat and will get the last one before 3,000 miles. Kinda worries me about rotating the tires. I have really never had a tire go down when I have been on a trip. So I think they will be fine. Can you run the spare backwards for a little ways just to get a tire repaired? If something did happen. I got the tires for 200 dollars a piece and the rims for 100. It was a good deal. They will be shipped to my door mounted and balanced. My dad said they might not do that great if you have to backup in the mud? Anyone with experience with that. He said they will go like hell forward though.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
I ended up getting the Mickey Thompson baja claws. I got 4 right off the bat and will get the last one before 3,000 miles. Kinda worries me about rotating the tires. I have really never had a tire go down when I have been on a trip. So I think they will be fine. Can you run the spare backwards for a little ways just to get a tire repaired? If something did happen. I got the tires for 200 dollars a piece and the rims for 100. It was a good deal. They will be shipped to my door mounted and balanced. My dad said they might not do that great if you have to backup in the mud? Anyone with experience with that. He said they will go like hell forward though.
I am getting the same type tires on tuesday..i would say just treat it like a normal spare..so super fast highway speeds...everything else should be fine.

Quick Reply: Final tire decision...