Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Figuring My Lift Cost – Need Some Guidance

Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
its weird when I see a comment like racer's about the gears... cause I had 4.10s and thought it was unbearable. He is not the first 3.73 guy I have seen say that they didn't think it was too bad. I think you should lift it and buy tires and stuff first before you gear it. You may not care I guess.
4.10's... seems to me that those gears are sort of at a bad spot for 35's because, running with O/D off brings the RPMS a little high on the highway, but there is not quite enough power to run with the O/D on.

For me, the 3.73's work nicely with O/D off.. Gears are definetly on my list, they just arent high on my list. (and get pushed down lower and lower every day it seems after seeing all the awesome stuff coming out on in the vendors area every day.

Is it just me or does the JK seem to be never finised??
Old 10-29-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Junkie

I would say with the parts that you have selected your underestimated your costs by 20% or more unless you've got an inside source for parts. The reasons are described in the previous posts.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Super Freak

i have the TF kit that you have listed with only a front adjustable track bar. i have 3k on this setup with no issues.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budget for a Superchips Flashpaq ~$300 to handle the tire/gear changes and get some more pop!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
i have the TF kit that you have listed with only a front adjustable track bar. i have 3k on this setup with no issues.
3,000 miles is nothing, Have you wheeled since the install? if so how hard.

My driveline lasted about 5,000 miles of driving and wheeling before it went. You need to budget for it.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for everyone's comments - certainly shining some light on the 2.5" coil lift. The main concern I have is doing it right, I'd rather save another month and get the right parts. I've updated my first post to include Piginajeep suggestion (thanks for getting back to me via PM by the way!) and added the Ultimate build to compare.

I've heard a lot about Northridge4x4 since joining the forum and will most definitely contact you David and see if I can send you my business. Thanks for reaching out!

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you don't mind the front axle being a bit off-center, wait on adding the new adj trackbar or bracket up front. etc...
Is this advisable? What could happen with it being off center? Crappy handling I would suppose?

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Also, as the others have mentioned, figure on $1000-$1500 for the gears, depending on who does the work. (parts and labor for both ends, out the door)
I was planning on putting these in myself. From what I have learned so far it seems like it will be a pain and a lot of try, shim some more, try again but I feel more comfortable lining them up to spec myself than trusting someone else to do it right. We may go ahead and pick up a depth checker just to make it a little less painful. Putting in a locker while I'm in there has crossed my mind as well.

That being said, if someone had a mechanic north of Atlanta they absolutely live and die by - by all means do share. While this is my daily I work from home so if the car is out of commission for a week or two while I work on it, it won't kill me.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:30 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry, one last question - I'm leaning towards the 2.5" Teraflex to get started with 33" tires to prevent the regearing. I've done a little more research and I'm just not seeing many complaints about drive shaft problems with the 2.5" coil lift. Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Jusebochs
Sorry, one last question - I'm leaning towards the 2.5" Teraflex to get started with 33" tires to prevent the regearing. I've done a little more research and I'm just not seeing many complaints about drive shaft problems with the 2.5" coil lift. Can anyone confirm?
I posted a quote in another thread, but a guys had issues with his rear DS and the 2.5" lift, It really a 3" lift

Originally Posted by desertdawg
My Teraflex 2.5 coil lift ended up being 3.5" in the front and 2.5" in the back (on my 2-door X). This made it necessary to get the driveshaft upgrades and reset driveline angles (my rear DS seal lasted about 500 miles, started leaking on my first off-road trip after the lift). Don't use cam bolts to set the angles, get adjustable rear-upper and front-lower control arms.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever your decision, call David Johnson at Northridge 4X4. Since he's not just a salesman, but also a mechanic who installs what he sells AND an active wheelin Jeeper, he will NOT steer you wrong. You won't find a better person or company to deal with.

Quick Reply: Figuring My Lift Cost – Need Some Guidance