Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A few welding questions for Purejeep Truss and Gusset kit

Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few welding questions for Purejeep Truss and Gusset kit

A couple questions:

I'm thinking of getting the Purejeep Backbone Truss and C-spine gusset kit and I'm a new welder.
  1. I believe the backbone truss is 3/16" steel. What is the thickness of the axle tube? Just trying to figure out a starting point for the welder settings.
  2. In both pictures, there are a few tight spots that I can foresee will be difficult to prep the metal for welding. Other than a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a flap wheel, what are you guys using for getting into some of the tight spaces? Mainly on the differential housing for the truss and those inner surfaces for the c-spine gusset.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Bump
Im curious as well
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Die grinder with a cone and the wire wheel, turn the heat up a tad and take your time.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

For the tight spots a Dremel Tool with a cone shaped stone works well. But only use it when you have to because it take a long time if you try to use it on too big a surface.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

As far as settings it all depends on machine if your using a long vs short cord. Just grab ya some scrap steel and practice but for a first welding project I suggest you don't try and tackle this. If you don't have much experience welding you could cost yourself alot if money.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

I agree. You are better off having a pro do this job.

Originally Posted by Okie Josh
As far as settings it all depends on machine if your using a long vs short cord. Just grab ya some scrap steel and practice but for a first welding project I suggest you don't try and tackle this. If you don't have much experience welding you could cost yourself alot if money.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmm, how thick is the axle tube guys. I have been welding for 30 years and would have serious concerns about welding down one side of any tube as it is likely to bend it. If I were to do this mod then the axle would be coming off the jeep and some tension in the opposite direction applied before weld. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

this is the kind of welding i would like to do, and i agree an the need for much practice before diving into the drivetrain on my jeep, but what kind of practice do you guys reccomend? Just curious how much you can learn without practicing on something structural to verify effective pennatration etc

Quick Reply: A few welding questions for Purejeep Truss and Gusset kit