Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A few POR15 Underbody/Frame Q's

Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few POR15 Underbody/Frame Q's

I couldnt take the rust that was beginning to take hold on my 2013 JKU with only 30k on it. Long Island and salt :( I finally set aside some time and pulled the trigger on all the prep mats and taking caring of it, hopefully permenently

Will be cleaning, POR15 Degreaser, POR15 Metal Prep, then POR15 black semi gloss black. Skipping topcoat, prefer the fade to gloss.

My questions lie in which parts do I need to be avoiding when prepping.

1. What should I avoid spraying the Metal Prep on after degreasing? It contains a chemical that etches into the metal and leaves a "coating", allowing the POR15 to adhere to rust or smooth metal. Other than the brake lines... where should I be weary of?

2. What should I not be applying the POR15 semi gloss to and taping off? Avoid drive shaft because balance issues? What else do I avoid?

And what am I forgetting? Mats: impact with wirebrush, drop sheet, respirator, 1" bristle brush x12, 2" foam brush x12, POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep, Semi Gloss, 6oz cups, latex gloves

Tip tricks or game genie codes? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I can't help you, but all that sounds too complicated for me to think about after reading what you described needs to be done.

Thanks, I'll stick to my method.

Coming up on 150K miles rolling in rust belt Michigan.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I did my drive shaft. I put my jeep on jacks stands, all four corners. Wheels removed to gain better access to more parts to spray. To do the drive shafts evenly I put the Jeep in 4-LO and actually had the hubs and shafts turning as I painted. I let it turn a little after done painting so would dry some while still rotating. I did not do the degreasing prep phase and regret that. Some spot my por-15 is peeling off.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I can't help you, but all that sounds too complicated for me to think about after reading what you described needs to be done.

Thanks, I'll stick to my method.

Coming up on 150K miles rolling in rust belt Michigan.
Soooo, what is your method?
Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Soooo, what is your method?
I don't want to take over the thread or discourage anyone from their planned out methods unless they're interested in SIE
1. Simple
2. Inexpensive
3. Effective

Many tend to equate if it's Simple and Inexpensive then it must not be effective.

Last edited by Rednroll; 04-18-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Dear lord I'm so glad I don't live in an area I have to worry about rust. I think about that every time I crawl under it to do something. Can't imagine the beating you guys have to deal with protecting the underside!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Dear lord I'm so glad I don't live in an area I have to worry about rust. I think about that every time I crawl under it to do something. Can't imagine the beating you guys have to deal with protecting the underside!
I try to look at the bright side. Gives me one more excuse to get out of the house and work on my Jeep.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you just avoid rubber and plastic with the metal prep.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I don't want to take over the thread or discourage anyone from their planned out methods unless they're interested in SIE
1. Simple
2. Inexpensive
3. Effective

Many tend to equate if it's Simple and Inexpensive then it must not be effective.

Many tend to equate it to that because its a difference in ideology from how they think.

I can only assume that you rattle canned it and touch up when need? Which is, exactly, what I am trying to avoid, and the opposite of how I think. I'm more of the "do it right or do it twice" type of thinking, and while you see it as overwhelming and too much to do, I see it as a fun endeavor to drop a little coin on top quality products, and spend an afternoon doing all the proper prep because at the end of the day its rewarding as hell to see all your hard work and to know the quality is of the highest caliber, and that the job is done and done forever. Just get to smile at it now , and not worry about having rattle cans on hand for touch ups for the aforementioned "...do it twice"

having said that, yours looks great! Any plans to spray the muffler with heat friendly paint?

Last edited by vonlupus624; 04-18-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by vonlupus624
Many tend to equate it to that because its a difference in ideology from how they think.

I can only assume that you rattle canned it and touch up when need? Which is, exactly, what I am trying to avoid, and the opposite of how I think. I'm more of the "do it right or do it twice" type of thinking, and while you see it as overwhelming and too much to do, I see it as a fun endeavor to drop a little coin on top quality products, and spend an afternoon doing all the proper prep because at the end of the day its rewarding as hell to see all your hard work and to know the quality is of the highest caliber, and that the job is done and done forever. Just get to smile at it now , and not worry about having rattle cans on hand for touch ups for the aforementioned "...do it twice"

having said that, yours looks great! Any plans to spray the muffler with heat friendly paint?
LOL..... You and rednroll are more alike than u think.

Quick Reply: A few POR15 Underbody/Frame Q's