Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

fenders ... ratings

Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Joker
LAWS??? WHAT LAWS??? THIS IS GEORGIA!!!
We don't believe in those things!

So you mean like I can take my doors off and not have side mirrors and take all my fenders off???

Seriously? What are the 4x4 laws ... I'm gonna have to look this up. I found something on a bumper not being 3" higher or lower than your hoood or something.. i forget now.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rubiconjack

So you mean like I can take my doors off and not have side mirrors and take all my fenders off???

Seriously? What are the 4x4 laws ... I'm gonna have to look this up. I found something on a bumper not being 3" higher or lower than your hoood or something.. i forget now.
Xenons are what I'm running, cives you a ton of extra room to stuff your tire.

Also 4wd.com offers a warranty for an $40 that gives you a lifetime warranty against any and all issuess... including trail damage.

For those states that are sticklers on inspections. Xenons have the side marker lights which are required for some state inspections.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Not bein a smart a$$. But seriously ... I would love to take em all off and just never put them back on! They're just a pain in my eyes.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I took all my flares off because I too ripped mine off in the woods...Again if money was no object I would prob get the Evo fenders!!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who has what ... why would you recommend them?

I have ripped off rear passenger fender twice now, and bashed it in, almost ripped off front passenger too.

Need some nice sturdy flares that can take a beating or two ....

what do you recommend?

I have looked at RR, Smitty Bilt, Bushwacker, Offroad Evolution a few others ...

Pros and Cons of each/ones your currently running?
My roommate has broken my rear passenger side fender with his ass twice now!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by freshjk
I took all my flares off because I too ripped mine off in the woods...Again if money was no object I would prob get the Evo fenders!!
do you put them back on when your done wheeling, or did you take em off completley and they're still off?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

the law says nothing about tire coverage, BUT, you WILL get hassled ALOT!
according to quite a few cop friends, as long as the tires are "somewhat" covered, it's not an issue. I plan on cutting mine in the near future after seeing the results on here.
as far as door off, the law says you must have "1 rear facing operational mirror" and the rear view mirror on the windshield DOES qualify. I have a copy of the law photocopied and kept in my glovebox.
law also says the bumper can not be more than 22" from bumper to the ground or 27" FRAME HEIGHT TO GROUND.
now, I can tell you that if you look around, there are TONS of vehicles that break that!
as long as you are within reason and the cop is not a dick, you should be fine around here.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N2rock
which would you prefer-

a beat up and/or ripped off stock fender.

Or tranfer that damage directly to the body of your JK?

IMHO- bashing in a fender or ripping it off, means that fender just saved your sheet metal from becoming dented. Mount a sturdier fender on there, and the next time it bashes something, the fender will be intact, but the sheet metal body will be bent
I can attest to this. I have bushwackers and someone nudged into me in the parking lot. In addition to denting the plastic of the fender, I noticed the entire front R quarter panel was dented in under the hood. Fortunately there is no paint damage so i thing it can be repaired easily but the fender will have to be removed first. If I had to do it over again I would have stuck with the stock fenders.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

here is a copy of the georgia laws on lift and mirrors and lights....

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-6 (2008)

§ 40-8-6. Alteration of suspension system; operation of vehicle with broken springs

(a) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any private passenger motor vehicle which may be operated on any public street or highway more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for any such vehicle.

(b) It shall be unlawful to operate any private passenger motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system of such vehicle has been altered more than two inches above or below the factory recommendation for such vehicle.

(c) It shall be unlawful to operate any motor vehicle upon any highway, roadway, or street if the springs relative to the suspension system are broken.

(d) Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1973, p. 458, §§ 1, 2; Ga. L. 1975, p. 763, § 1; Code 1933, § 68E-106, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-6, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.

PART 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-6.1 (2008)

§ 40-8-6.1. Raised chassis vehicles

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "Frame" means the main longitudinal structural members of the chassis of a truck.

(2) "Frame height" means the vertical distance between a level surface and the lowest point on the frame of a truck, measured when the truck is upon such level surface without a load.

(3) "Gross vehicle weight rating" means the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating whether or not the vehicle is modified by use of parts not originally installed by the manufacturer.

(b) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 pounds or less, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 27 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(c) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 4,501 pounds and not more than 7,500 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 30 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(d) It shall be unlawful to alter the suspension system of any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of not less than 7,501 pounds and not more than 14,000 pounds, which may be operated on any public street or highway, so as to exceed 31 inches as measured from the surface of the street to the lowest point on the frame of the truck.

(e) It shall be unlawful to operate any truck upon any highway, roadway, or street if the suspension system has been altered in excess of the limitations provided for in this Code section.

(f) Any person violating this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

HISTORY: Code 1981, § 40-8-6.1, enacted by Ga. L. 1986, p. 1210, § 1; Ga. L. 1992, p. 6, § 40.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-72
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***

PART 4. HORNS, EXHAUST SYSTEMS, MIRRORS, WINDSHIELDS, TIRES, SAFETY BELTS, ENERGY ABSORPTION SYSTEMS

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-72 (2008)

§ 40-8-72. Mirrors

Every motor vehicle which is so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear thereof from the driver's position shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 118; Code 1933, § 68E-403, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-72, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-29
GEORGIA CODE
Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia
All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***

PART 2. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-29 (2008)

§ 40-8-29. Spotlights, foglights, and auxiliary lights permitted

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one spotlight, and no lighted spotlight shall be aimed and used upon any approaching vehicle. It shall be unlawful for any person except law enforcement officers and persons licensed under Chapter 38 of Title 43 to operate a spotlight from any moving vehicle on any highway or public roadway.

(b) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two foglights mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the light from which it comes.

(c) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary passing light mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary passing light shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

(d) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed one auxiliary driving light mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary driving light shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 111; Code 1933, § 68E-210, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-29, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10; Ga. L. 1983, p. 3, § 29; Ga. L. 1992, p. 6, § 40.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

thank you Joker! I have been looking all over for something like that .. even emailed the police department here in town. Haven't checked my email yet .. so I dunno.

I will have to print it out and put it in my glovebox too!

So I guess really, it all comes down to your personal preference, and what you wanna deal with in quality really .... for fenders.

Quick Reply: fenders ... ratings