Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender Flares

Old 10-20-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why I want flat fenders

I hope to do some wheeling, but it won't be an every week thing. My JK is my DD; I have no intention of doing any serious rock crawling with it. Mostly just some off road trails.

I was looking at flat fenders because I like the look over the stock. I am leery about cutting my own fenders - if I screw it up, they are my only set. Plus, the flat fenders give the illusion of a lift. I want my JK to look good as much as I want it to ride/wheel good.

I will eventually lift the JK 2.5" (I am only running 33" ATZ P3s) and would like the added articulation clearance, but that is 6 months away. I have no desire to replace my drive shaft right now, so even a BB may come before a full coil lift.

It amazes me that I can spend as much on 4 pieces of plastic as I can on a 55" flat screen television.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The bushwackers are well worth the change. I nick named my rubi "Tree Hugger" because at Rausch Creek last time I kept smacking into trees! Lol I hit the one so hard I knew the flare was smashed..... Got out after the obstacles to look and find just a small scratch on it..... Highly recommended!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1382273241714.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	506401  
Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just trim your own. I understand about cutting your fenders and messing up. I did mine own and they turned out pretty good. I just took blue painters tape and marked my fenders off where I wanted to cut them. Them got the Dremel tool out and slowly started cutting them. If they turn out good and you like them it saved you 600-1000 bucks to spend on other upgrades. If they don't turn out like what you want them you just by the aftermarket ones if your choice. Here is a few pics of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3956215734.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	506400   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3244401337.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	506402  
Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

I paid $420 and then sent in a $50 rebate on Bushwackers. Not sure about the rebate availability but there is a vendor on here that offers a great price on them. I got mine about 18 months ago, it couldn't have changed that much. Chris at Jeepaddons.com.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wr@ngler00
Hey shutter, what are you gonna be using your jeep for? Are you gonna be wheeling it? Trail riding? Camping? Or do you want something just for looks? These are very important questions here. If your are gonna be wheeling it around trees and rocks then you need to go with something that is gonna protect your fenders. IE. something in steel, if so look at Poison Spyder or Metal cloak. These other clowns are telling you to get plastic fenders and how they are virtually indestructible but that is not the purpose of sticking on aftermarket flares unless you just need tire clearance. If you need tire clearance and are gonna be riding mostly on the street and want to pay an obscene amount of money for molded plastic then ya go with xenon or bushwhacker. If you go this route they will do nothing to protect your fenders...they are just for looks and tire clearance. If you plan on mostly driving on the street then just keep your stock flares. There is no sense in spending 500-700 on something your not gonna use. If you have any other questions pm me. Ill be happy to help you in anyway i can.
I have to comment and say the metal flares when hit by a tree will cause more damage then a plastic one being torn off instead. I would rather deal with my plastic fender pulling off then my sheet metal being bent from the impact
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fender Flares

Just cut your flares, if you don't like the way they turn out THEN go drop hundreds on something aftermarket. You can literally cut them to any shape you want

Last edited by kh202; 10-20-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Benm1020

I have to comment and say the metal flares when hit by a tree will cause more damage then a plastic one being torn off instead. I would rather deal with my plastic fender pulling off then my sheet metal being bent from the impact
Having ripped off a stock fender not just once, but twice, I have to say this is spot on. Replace or trim the stock flares if you need tire clearance. Not for protection. Besides, the stock flares look better than anything out there. But that's JMHO.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benm1020
This is only true if you buy metal flares that attach directly to sheet metal. (Not sure why you would do that)
I have personally ripped off bushwackers and bent sheetmetal in the process.
Trimmed stock fenders will bend and flex as they hit things. More sturdy plastic fenders like bushwackers can do damage..

Heres a few pics of the inner braces that come with Poison Spyder flares. I can stand on them and jump and they do not budge.

And two just for fun.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

The smittybilt flares are nice for the price. If your looking for coverage there are much better options. On my last jeep I had the bushwacker flares but after my first trip wheeling I realized I didnt want flares that stuck out beyond my wheels (made contact with a dirt wall and the way the bushwackers are mounted in the rear they pushed in the body of my jeep.)
I ended up with the smittybilts on my last jeep and now on the new one. Fitment isnt 100% on the fronts, but it would take me pointing it out for anyone to notice.
The bushwackers do fit near perfect, and if you cut the inner liners properly they look OEM.

Bushwackers

Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Junkie

I'm looking at flat fenders but I REALLY need full coverage for strict Maine inspection rules

Matthew

Quick Reply: Fender Flares