Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender Flares

Old 10-19-2013, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fender Flares

I've been trying to decide on replacement fender flares for my 2014 2 door. There are a few options out there, some plastic and some steel. But I have a few questions that maybe some fellow jeepers can help answer.

#1 Why are PLASTIC Bushwacker flares over $600? Is it simply because it is a jeep part? The one thing I like about them is they have built in replacement marker lights.

#2 Any opinions on the all steel Smittybilt XRC Fender Flares? (If you are just going to rail on the brand and not the specific product, please use a different thread)

#3 Do all of these replacements require you to scrap your inner fender? I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the last thing I want to do is to introduce even more road salt into my engine compartment.

#4 For the flares that don't have marker lights built in, what can be done to keep them somehow?

#5 Any other brands worth looking at?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bushwacker flat fenders and thought same thing but man they r tuff. Surprisingly super strong after install and you do keep your inner fender liners just gotta trim. Install took me about 4 hours front and back but well worth it. No experience with metal fenders but just my two cents. Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3032747631.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	506264
Old 10-19-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I've been trying to decide on replacement fender flares for my 2014 2 door. There are a few options out there, some plastic and some steel. But I have a few questions that maybe some fellow jeepers can help answer. #1 Why are PLASTIC Bushwacker flares over $600? Is it simply because it is a jeep part? The one thing I like about them is they have built in replacement marker lights. #2 Any opinions on the all steel Smittybilt XRC Fender Flares? (If you are just going to rail on the brand and not the specific product, please use a different thread) #3 Do all of these replacements require you to scrap your inner fender? I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the last thing I want to do is to introduce even more road salt into my engine compartment. #4 For the flares that don't have marker lights built in, what can be done to keep them somehow? #5 Any other brands worth looking at? Thanks!
I had the smittybilt on my last jk. They looked great and was built great. For the inners I cut the front and reused them. For the back I bed lined the fender wheel. For the marker light you can trim it and relocate it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2797932917.jpg
Views:	2046
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	506279
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4013441010.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	506277   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-197282998.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	506278  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

I'm considering either Bushwhackers or Ace, most of my Jeep is Ace stuff, but the bushwhackers have the required yellow lights already installed...

Matthew
Old 10-19-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I've been trying to decide on replacement fender flares for my 2014 2 door. There are a few options out there, some plastic and some steel. But I have a few questions that maybe some fellow jeepers can help answer.

#1 Why are PLASTIC Bushwacker flares over $600? Is it simply because it is a jeep part? The one thing I like about them is they have built in replacement marker lights.

#2 Any opinions on the all steel Smittybilt XRC Fender Flares? (If you are just going to rail on the brand and not the specific product, please use a different thread)

#3 Do all of these replacements require you to scrap your inner fender? I live in Cleveland, Ohio and the last thing I want to do is to introduce even more road salt into my engine compartment.

#4 For the flares that don't have marker lights built in, what can be done to keep them somehow?

#5 Any other brands worth looking at?

Thanks!
Go with Ace- order thru Dave at Northridge. They are in stock. Great look and tough. 10% off and free shipping thru tomorrow I believe. I pad 785 delivered. Very happy so far.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have the smittybit flat fenders. they are great for the price point. I will be putting on river raider fenders on Monday and they look awesome.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metalcloak fenders, they have free shipping this weekend. They are awesome! I ordered the overlands.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Freak

There are many options: Metal Cloak, Poison Spider, Pure Jeep, Smitty, Nemisis, Gen right and many others. You can also trim your own which is what a lot of people do (I did) and it works great and a cheap option. I zip tied my marker lights to the frame.

My personal favorite is Poison spider but they are not painted and pricey. Metal Cloak is a close second. All expensive. Metal Cloak also makes an aluminum replacement liner that works with some other flares.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Freak

I went with MCE. Made of flexible plastic and almost indestructible.

Modern Classic Enterprises

Old 10-19-2013, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Hey shutter, what are you gonna be using your jeep for? Are you gonna be wheeling it? Trail riding? Camping? Or do you want something just for looks? These are very important questions here. If your are gonna be wheeling it around trees and rocks then you need to go with something that is gonna protect your fenders. IE. something in steel, if so look at Poison Spyder or Metal cloak. These other clowns are telling you to get plastic fenders and how they are virtually indestructible but that is not the purpose of sticking on aftermarket flares unless you just need tire clearance. If you need tire clearance and are gonna be riding mostly on the street and want to pay an obscene amount of money for molded plastic then ya go with xenon or bushwhacker. If you go this route they will do nothing to protect your fenders...they are just for looks and tire clearance. If you plan on mostly driving on the street then just keep your stock flares. There is no sense in spending 500-700 on something your not gonna use. If you have any other questions pm me. Ill be happy to help you in anyway i can.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares