Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender Flare Question

Old 10-05-2011, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Flare Question

Once again I ask you all your opinion. This time what is best for an after market fender flare, Metal, or Plastic? What are the pros and cons of each? What do you have and do you have any pictures? This is a mod for down the road for me but just wondering,
Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 AM
jdk
JK Freak

When I built mine the only thing on the market was plastic they look OK when clean but require more time to keep them that way. Pro's I have laid mine on its side,scraped them on trees and they hold up better to abuse then metal would IMO. If I were to do it over again I would go with metal, it can usually be hammered back stright and rattle canned.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the tip jdk
Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I decided to change the flares, I was like you, undecided on which type. I even trimmed my stock flares to see if I would like the flat panel look. Eventually I was able to see several Jeeps, and talk to the owners about their choice in flares.

I went with Bushwackers.....

I'm really happy with them
They are durable, I find them easy to keep clean (more-so than the factory flares) and if they get damaged, its easy to get replacement parts for them.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by texwillys
Once I decided to change the flares, I was like you, undecided on which type. I even trimmed my stock flares to see if I would like the flat panel look. Eventually I was able to see several Jeeps, and talk to the owners about their choice in flares.

I went with Bushwackers.....

I'm really happy with them
They are durable, I find them easy to keep clean (more-so than the factory flares) and if they get damaged, its easy to get replacement parts for them.
Thanks Those are one of the options I am looking at. Way cool set up by the way
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slob
Once again I ask you all your opinion. This time what is best for an after market fender flare, Metal, or Plastic? What are the pros and cons of each? What do you have and do you have any pictures? This is a mod for down the road for me but just wondering,
Thanks
i have personally seen steel tube fenders take a big hit and look great afterward but, left the body of the JK it was attached to damaged. but, in all fairness, i have even seen xenon's do this too - look great after a big hit but, did body damage. bushwackers are about the only ones i have not really seen this happen and mostly because after taking a big hit, they tend to be mangled and torn off. i have seen this on the set i used to have and seen it happen to others as well.

but, having said all that, i prefer chopped factory flares as over the years, i've been able to mash, mangle, harshly bend and tear them off only to be able to pick them back up and pop them back in WITHOUT any damage to the body. also, being practically FREE, they are pretty cheap too

Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Wayoflife is correct even with my plastic flares it dents the body if you bang or lay on them.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cannot beat the price (FREE) If you screw them up I am sure you can get some off this site for the cost of shipping. However I am pretty cheap. FRUGAL! I think you get a good look with the stockers cut.

If you want to spend the money you cannot beat the ACE flares
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

The poison spyder flares come with brackets that mount inside the fender well to help support the sheet metal on an impact. Can anyone confirm how effective that works? I've seen several people using these and I think they look the best of all the metal flares. They fit the JK body lines very well.

I've never seen the Ace flares in person, but the pictures aren't impressive. Looks like a big gap at the top of them where the flare is flat and the body line has a slight curve to it. Makes them look like cheap amateur work in my opinion.

The Bushwacker flares can't take a hit very well. A friend has some that all bent out of shape and look terrible after just a year.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They do in fact look great but EVERY steel tube fender out there will do body damage if hit hard enough - this one included. Trust me, I have seen it in person.

Quick Reply: Fender Flare Question