Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender flare elimination.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flares

My first time offroading with Bushwacker flat flares (they stuck out further than my tires)I was trying to climb a muddy slope in a Creek bed. My rear end slid into the creek wall and damaged my rear body panel. I'm not sure if it would happen with fenders other than the bushwackers, but the way they mount I had more damage to the jeep metal than I did to the plastic fenders (only had a slight scratch on the plastic) My buddy who was following me did the same thing, but bc he had narrow fenders only his tires touched the wall.
For that reason I will not run fenders that are wider than my wheel/tire setup.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the country of California, the fenders must be up to the edge if not a bit wider than the tire sticking out...it's subjective to the cop pulling you over. Mud flaps are also required if the back part of your tire is exposed and sticking out past the fender.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as ttechris said, you want your tires to be in contact with rocks/trees etc rather than body panels/fenders.
some fenders will flex, some are strong enough to be a form of armor, some (stock ones for instance) will cause damage to the body.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flat Fenders

Originally Posted by ttechris
My rear end slid into the creek wall and damaged my rear body panel. but the way they mount I had more damage to the jeep metal than I did to the plastic fenders (only had a slight scratch on the plastic) My buddy who was following me did the same thing, but bc he had narrow fenders only his tires touched the wall.
For that reason I will not run fenders that are wider than my wheel/tire setup.

From what I'v seen on the Trails the rear OEM fenders get ripped off all the time on contact. Most of the time the clips break and people just throw that junk in the back....lol..

I have Smacked mine across trees, scraped trees and jumped up and down on mine. No damage what so ever. The only thing I have is a brown smudge on the tube part which I can touch up with some bed-liner.

My opinion is OEM are ugly fade and are pieces of crap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TreeHit Smudge.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	644997  
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepgeek15
Im new to the forum and i have a question. I read a previous thread about the purpose of fender flares and that they are usefull to maintain mud and dirt flying everywhere. Yet i see pictures of lifted jeeps with no fender flares at all. What is the purpose behind removing your fender flares besides for looks?
Thank you
I run no flares half because im lazy and haven't made any for my application and secondly in rocks where i was they were in the way... Id have to make some pretty wide ones to cover my tires and i feel it may look stupid... I havent gotten pulles over out here yet but some states dont have laws on it.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran without front fenders whilst choosing which fenders to purchase. As others say, fenders lessen (not stop) mud and road muck thrown against the side and doors.

With no fenders you'll be using your wipers more -- fenders prevent the tires taking standing water after a rain shower hitting your windshield, and prevent stone chips -- with no fenders I also had the pinging of stones caught in the tire and hitting the rock rails --- wasn't a big deal, just an FYI.

Quick Reply: Fender flare elimination.