Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fender flare elimination.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender flare elimination.

Im new to the forum and i have a question. I read a previous thread about the purpose of fender flares and that they are usefull to maintain mud and dirt flying everywhere. Yet i see pictures of lifted jeeps with no fender flares at all. What is the purpose behind removing your fender flares besides for looks?
Thank you
Old 04-23-2016, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Attract police attention and avoid the need to make sure the tires clear the flares. It's more looks than anything.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3946006391.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	539.1 KB
ID:	644756 Because I have 37" tires and want to keep center of gravity as low as possible for rock crawling. I don't play mud so have no use for large fender flares. A picture is worth a thousand words. Flat fenders gives me extra up travel clearance over factory fenders. Which in my opinion also look horrible. This is the actual purpose however a lot of guys do it just for looks. Depends on the person and the purpose.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BFYTW
Attachment 644756 Because I have 37" tires and want to keep center of gravity as low as possible for rock crawling. I don't play mud so have no use for large fender flares. A picture is worth a thousand words. Flat fenders gives me extra up travel clearance over factory fenders. Which in my opinion also look horrible. This is the actual purpose however a lot of guys do it just for looks. Depends on the person and the purpose.
So are you saying they can be a problem when the suspension flexes and the tires might hit the flare?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your going to have to check your state laws about fenders. I know a lot of North East states like NY, MA, NH etc... have laws against tires sticking out of the fenders some even go as far as requiring you to have mud flaps I think thats in Canada. North Carolina on the other hand does not require fenders at all. Shoot If I could get away with it I would have ran mine without front quarter panels but my wife would have killed me.

*Edit* Here is another picture 1 out of 3 Jeeps had Fenders. Yes I had Fenders I'm the odd man out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Take it off.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	644774   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Inches left.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	644775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Side.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	644776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of Daniel.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	644778  

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 04-23-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Your going to have to check your state laws about fenders. I know a lot of North East states like NY, MA, NH etc... have laws against tires sticking out of the fenders some even go as far as requiring you to have mud flaps I think thats in Canada. North Carolina on the other hand does not require fenders at all. Shoot If I could get away with it I would have ran mine without front quarter panels but my wife would have killed me.

*Edit* Here is another picture 1 out of 3 Jeeps had Fenders. Yes I had Fenders I'm the odd man out.
The pictures arent coming out but thank you i didnt know there were laws against it. Do you lnow anything about the california laws?
Old 04-23-2016, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not sure about that side of the country, but I'm sure someone from that side can chime in.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

In california you must have fender coverage to the outside of the tires, mud flaps, covers on your off road lights. I would think they have bumper height laws as well. Depends on the police officer if they want to bother with tickets for that stuff or not but keep that in mind if you ever get stopped for speeding or anything else.

I don't run rear flares because I never built any for my rig and like the tire clearance it gives but I can tell you they throw the mud like crazy and I avoid mud as much as I can.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:02 PM
JK Junkie

Default Mud

Yes Flat fenders are like shelfs for mud, so are Rock sliders with steps. Yes mud sucks. Actually aI had more mud on my Jeep than the guys that did not have fenders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree Strike.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	644798   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Smash.PNG
Views:	175
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	644799  
Old 04-23-2016, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
In california you must have fender coverage to the outside of the tires, mud flaps, covers on your off road lights. I would think they have bumper height laws as well. Depends on the police officer if they want to bother with tickets for that stuff or not but keep that in mind if you ever get stopped for speeding or anything else.

I don't run rear flares because I never built any for my rig and like the tire clearance it gives but I can tell you they throw the mud like crazy and I avoid mud as much as I can.
I rarely see jeeps around here with mud flaps are you sure those are the laws?

Quick Reply: Fender flare elimination.