Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Feedback on my path to 37's

Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGNICK
I'd double check before you sleeve I was looking a few months back and I believe there was only one or two options for for aftermarket axles with sleeves tubes. You can't take those bad boys out once there in.
Dually noted, I will double check. Also haven't decided on a sleeve brand specifically yet.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I doubt you will need the HD coils, I ran both the no load and the HD on a 2 door with heavy bumpers and winch and the no load were tall enough and gave a better ride. That was paired up with 5100 shocks and 37" tires.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

I certainly agree that the metal you're welding on should be the same temp and have the chance to cool down uniformly (I do my own welding).

The bj's though....if you hadn't toasted them with your C install then they don't *need* to be replaced unless you've got some issues or are just looking at PM. I'll have to look, but I don't think the bj's have to come out for sleeves......I very well could be wrong.

Do you have plans for a power steering cooler? I would check behind TheDirtman also and see if it's 3.5" backspacing that he recommends for 37's to keep them off of the frame.....I think that depends on the width of tire you plan to run.

Any plans for bigger/ better brakes with 37's?
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I doubt you will need the HD coils, I ran both the no load and the HD on a 2 door with heavy bumpers and winch and the no load were tall enough and gave a better ride. That was paired up with 5100 shocks and 37" tires.
That's reassuring. Thanks for the first hand input.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls
I certainly agree that the metal you're welding on should be the same temp and have the chance to cool down uniformly (I do my own welding).

The bj's though....if you hadn't toasted them with your C install then they don't *need* to be replaced unless you've got some issues or are just looking at PM. I'll have to look, but I don't think the bj's have to come out for sleeves......I very well could be wrong.

Do you have plans for a power steering cooler? I would check behind TheDirtman also and see if it's 3.5" backspacing that he recommends for 37's to keep them off of the frame.....I think that depends on the width of tire you plan to run.

My ball joints are fine right now as far as I can tell but j haven't actually checked them. I just assume I'm going to toast them quickly with 37s.
Yes it would be good to know if they need to come out for sleeves.

So I guess that's 1 decision I still need to make. Truss vs sleeve and BJ.

I had not considered a power steering cooler, and I'm not educated on them. I am considering a sector shaft brace but not right away.

As for brakes, I like that kit that TF has out that basically steps up the rotor size and reuses the caliper, but again, gonna have to wait for the funds on that too.

As far as 3.5"bs. Ya, but it's not what I have. I have 4". It'll have to do. I just won't crank the wheel all the way over. Not like I'm gonna break the frame with a lil rub
Old 01-02-2014, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls

Karl has covered most of the bases here.

You don't need to remove the BJ's to install sleeves, but they will fail indefinitely sooner or later, so it may be a good idea just to add a set of aftermarket BJ's while you have everything apart. You can pick up a set of Alloy USA BJ's for around $130.

I run 37's on a 2.5" lift and I know first hand that you want atleast 3.75" back spacing to clear the frame and control arms while still retaining adequate steering. I need to add wheel spacers with my 4.75" BS wheels to regain some of that steering angle.

As for brakes, a steel braided line with some good pads will be sufficient for a while. There are a few different options out there for you to choose from after getting a feel for the braking habits of a Jeep on 37's.

Last edited by D_engel; 01-02-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: nvm, see you have a rubicon
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is great info. I'm starting from a sport but more or less have the same plans. This thread is going to be great for me to help make the hard decisions that are inevitable. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Junkie

i think most everything was covered, someone mentioned rear tire carrier, you really can't cheap out on that with 37'

i have 37's with Goodyear MTR/K's and those suckers are really heavy!

if you look at my signature block, or any pictures of my Jeep, you'll see that i'm a HUGE fan of Ace products

the third sizeable thing i bought for my Jeep was the Ace rear tire carrier. Its nice because it takes the weight of the wheel off of the tailgate and puts it on the bumper itself.

#1 was the EVO protek skid plate system

#2 was the Ace rock rails, two door bolt on version

now that i'm at 37's the skid plates and the rock rails aren't getting as much use as they used to!

matthew
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Edited cuz nevermind

Last edited by 4W-Jive; 01-03-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed Nitro Sleeves along with Alloy USA ball joints myself. Ball joints were a pain but the Nitro Sleeves were not too bad. Although when you get towards the end of the sleeves, it took a lot of force to get them in.

I cannot comment on the truss because I have not installed one, but I can tell you the sleeves stiffened up the front axle. Before I installed the sleeves I read a few posts of guys saying their front end felt stiffer after installing sleeves. I called B.S. until I did it. It did make the front feel more solid. And yes, you can run higher spline axles with Nitro Sleeves. Good luck with your install!

Quick Reply: Feedback on my path to 37's