Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Feedback good or bad on AEV ProCal Module

Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback good or bad on AEV ProCal Module

I just re-geared my 2012 JK with Nitro Gears 4.88 running on 35"s. The shop I used told me I needed to use the AEV ProCal Module to re-calibrate the computer to compensate for the new gearing.

Has anyone used this module and if so..what's the good bad and the ugly?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have been using one for 4 years and it works as advertised. No fancy digital display but always has calibrated my tire size for accurate speedo and shift points with automatic. I have used it to lower my psi threshold so the warning lights don't come on. If there is a negative is that it marries to one vin # so you cant use it on multiple vehicles at the same time. If you are using it for resetting gear ratios after regearing it will have to go with that vehicle if you sell the vehicle.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

I used my Procal to make sure that no dash lights came on after my lift. The speedo being accurate was a big deal to me since I am running a 37, which gave a big percentage difference on the gauge.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys good feedback. Yep, my check engine was on before I used the module and now its off.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

I posted in another thread that I am having problems with the Jeep not wanting to shift into high gear and the TipTronics stop working. When I turn the engine off and re-start.. it starts working again...

The check engine light came on so I plugged in the module and it went away!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'v had it for 4 years used it for gears, tire size, and winching mode. I used it to clear a Christmas tree light problem 1 time after I had buried the tachometer but since then No problems with CEL light. I think it was confused I only had 2K on the odometer when I did it.

I'm not sure what your problem could be. Maybe they sent you the Wong year model. Pro-cal is pretty cut and dry no frills.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Codes

Stupid question maybe, but did you try clearing any stored DTC's ?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
If there is a negative is that it marries to one vin # so you cant use it on multiple vehicles at the same time. If you are using it for resetting gear ratios after regearing it will have to go with that vehicle if you sell the vehicle.
Just for the record, all the programmers are the same way. Doesn't really seem like a drawback to the ProCal relative to all the others out there.

Curious....did the OP already have the ProCal, and if not, how the heck did you drive away after being regeared. Did you realize before re-gearing that you'd need to re-program the computer for the gearing? Maybe I'm just reading too much in to the OP highlighting that they re-geared, and THEN being told by the shop they'd need to re-program.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for more feedback. I took it back to the shop that did the re-gearing job today. They cleared everything and re-programmed. I drove about 40 mils (all working fine) than the same thing happened again! (wont shift past third gear and tiptronics fail).
Old 01-03-2017, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

I was not aware I needed to have the ProCal and re-program. (first re-gear The shop did not advise nor was it in the quote. When I picked the Jeep up, they advised that they forgot to quote me on the ProCal so they added it!

They are calling AEV tomorrow to trouble shoot and or get another one and see if that work! Has to be programing as if it were mechanical, it wouldn't be intermittent??

Quick Reply: Feedback good or bad on AEV ProCal Module