Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The Famous Throttle Body Spacer..

Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exactly what i plan on doing now, lets hope i can also dyno for some proof.... i would love to dyno and post my findings... any more input guys????
Old 09-21-2008, 03:31 AM
JK Jedi

I got a TBS free with my Airaid, immediately sold it on eBay to offset some of the cost of the intake. Without this I would not have bought any CAI, as I didn't feel it would be worth the $200+. I ended up at $150 minus the TBS sale, and feel that was a fair cost/benefit ratio. Next time it will be a snorkle, which can be equally benefical in dusty conditions (not just water).
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default could E-85 and water be used instead

Originally Posted by SLeepY_BoY
well guys we dont have much water here, only sand so open air filters are really good in this part of the world, i think i might just dyno to see and find out once and for all, the mystry of the tbs.......... as for water/meth injection , it is a 50/50 water metenol mix that acts like very high octane fuel allowing higher levels of boost and more nitrous in my case without risk of knocking, also because its so hot here sometimes 50c+ its always a good idea to intall this kit since it keeps engine cool, i run it in all cars i buy u get like a 5-10% performace increase in u plan to use on stock engine... its cool
Could E-85 be used instead of methonal ,becouse there are a few gass stations that sell E-85 ware I live and it would be easier to get and cheaper than methonal $3.35 to $3.65 a gallon
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

its a 50/50 mix so if u have 1 gallon of meth u add a gallon of water to it, now u have 2 gallons why go cheap, you can use blue color windshield fluid i hear it the next best thing to 35%meth/the rest water, but 50/50 mix is really the best.. good luck hope i will post pics once im done with my build
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 AM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

I put a TBS on my 01 GMC Sierra and different really notice a difference. I liked the sound of the whistle from it. I have been thinking about installing one on the Jeep, I will watch in here to see what you find out.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't seem to believe that they work, unless we are setting up some massive forced induction system.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm interesting, so basiclly useless then??? anyone got anything good to say
Yeah...I got my throttle body spacer free! I like the sound.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

4.56 r and p
cia airaid
tbs airaid
35-75 hp wetshot nos kit
water meth injection kit
2.5 tf bb
hypertech
dynomax catback
please don't slam me, but as far as I was aware the benefits of the meth injection are only realized in a forced induction system...and i don't see a super charger or turbo on that list like running premium in a non turbo/charger engine, really no benefit....experts please chime in, I'm pretty sure RIPPMODS has a good handle on this stuff
Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

there are many types of meth/water injection kit, and people use them for different reason, meth is like very high octance fuel which means car will take more abuse and the water charge cools the engine, so now you have a cooler engine that take more abuse wiithout the risk of detonation.... most people use this on forced induction/NOS application to force more boost or NOS hp out of the engine. so basically...

in my case it will give me 5-10%(10-20hp more) more hp depending on tuning(jk must be tuned for 112 octane fuel), allow me to run 75hp shot of nos without fear of detonation, and run my engine cooler which also increases hp(its really really hot here in the summers).

hope this helped you.......

Last edited by SLeepY_BoY; 09-21-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
LOL

And I've heard that there is a Santa Clause, and an Easter Bunny, and the Check is in the Mail.

That doesn't mean it makes them have any validity.

This is a public forum, so any idiot can say he believes something, or even state it as a fact.

You need a bull shit detector to tell one opinion from another, and whether to give two side equal weight, etc.

As for the throttle body spacer, it can't help a sequential multiport fuel injected engine...the place the effect would happen is not meaningful relative to where the implied benefit would be provided.

This means on OTHER engines, you CAN see an effect, but, NOT on the JK...its just not feasible.

As for water entering the engine, well, its all relative. It IS true that a little water MIGHT be OK, like humidity, a drop or two, etc.

Unfortunately, in real life, an open cone filter hit with water, sucks ALL the water on the filter, into the intake, due to the pressure differential.

After that, its all a question as to how MUCH water THAT was.

A splash, if taken as a gulp, has been shown, repeatedly, to potentially result in a hydrolocked engine, as water is not compressible like air is, and, the piston slams to a stop, bending and breaking things.

That happens if ENOUGH water gets into ONE or more cylinders.

If lucky, the engine stalls from a lack of air when the filter is soaked, BEFORE the piston slams into the water instead of the air.

In that case, the engine can be saved by removing the spark plugs, and hand cranking the engine to shoot the water out through the spark plug holes like little geysers...until dry enough, and then changing the oil, etc.

If the engine doesn't asphyxiate in time, the engine is typically toast...and needs a rebuild or replacement depending upon the DEGREE of damage.

I've been with people who hit a puddle and hydrolocked from a single splash....it can happen. I've also been with people who submerged and asphyxiated/stalled in time to be able to save the engine.

But, its NEVER a good idea to risk it...if you are only running dunes, desert/dry areas, sure, no problem. If very cautious, and you slow way down to cross puddles, etc...sure, no problem. If you off road in areas where there are puddles you might splash through, water or deeper mud, etc...well, its a bad idea.

People get away with it, just like there are some who never wear a seat belt and nothing bad happened...but, that doesn't make it a good idea.

Summary:

1) TBS - Snake oil for a JK.

2) Exposed Cone Filter - Can be a bad idea if you get it wet.

Wow TEEJ you have a large vocabulary
I might not know half of what you said

Quick Reply: The Famous Throttle Body Spacer..