Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

False Oil Change Indication?

Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I wish my fingers could do chemical analysis. dde09
Ha!!! Yeh, I guess it not much of an analysis, but it beats taken whatever any fat marketer spoons feeds, right.

Cheers.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Oh my....I'm brainwashed. That's cool, at least I seem to be in good company riding along side posers on the trails with EVO gear and stickers plastered across their windshield.
I am sorry, you must have me confused with the the people whose trails have mile markers and everyone of them ends at a mall. That is just not for me, but whatever floats your boat sir. Good luck... Meanwhile, got some awesome parcels to sell you in various parts of Florida. Just note that there are only certain visiting hours. I'll cut guys like you a special deal.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister
I am sorry, you must have me confused with the the people whose trails have mile markers and everyone of them ends at a mall. That is just not for me, but whatever floats your boat sir. Good luck... Meanwhile, got some awesome parcels to sell you in various parts of Florida. Just note that there are only certain visiting hours. I'll cut guys like you a special deal.
Oh, I'm sorry....I didn't realize I was talking about you specifically and thought I was just making a generalized statement. EVO being so well respected on this forum and all.

But if the shoe fits, will you be my brainwashed pal? Maybe, I can help you scratch up your wheels some more so you don't look so much like a poser when we hit the trails. Can I? Oh, please can I? Maybe you can teach me some more about that dip stick finger trick in testing the oil, with that high mileage you have on your rig?

You had me pegged until the "so scared" part. I went out with only 300 miles on my Jeep and did exactly that, built to the hilt with coil overs and bypass shocks. I have very limited experience off-roading and yet have an amazing rig.

However, we should meet up sometime and do some local trails, being that you and I live in the same town. I have no worries whatsoever in scratching up my rig. In fact, I have worked hard to scratch and gouge my beadlocks as much as possibly prior to my Rubicon run next week. I would hate to show up with super clean rings..

As for the mainstreamness of the Jeep. I do not see it. And if there is anything to is, who cares? I have been wanting a Jeep for over 20 years and there was nothing anyone was doing to change my mind either way. For me, it is about getting out there and enjoying the outdoors, especially with my family.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-12-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

This petty bullshit is embarrassing. If we all met up at a jeep jamboree, on the trail, or in a bar, would we be spouting out these personal attacks? So easy to do on the anonymous internet. In the words of that great philosopher Rodney King: can't we all just get along?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

You know what ironic about this whole thing. There are marketing schemes on both sides. Oil companies want you to buy more oil and car manufacturers want you to trade your vehicle in every few years. Either way you look at it your being targeted.
I'm sorry but running your fingers through the oil.....come on, that's like saying you kick your tires to make sure there still in good shape. I have personally seen inside engines(modern engines) that we're getting thee oil changes every 5k and they didn't look good. Every 3k...okay I get it. It's a little unnecessary. But who cares, if there brainwashed to change the oil that fast then your brainwashed to think that your oils can go 5k + with no lasting effects. I personally would rather be slightly more cautious and know, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that if I have engine failure it's not going to be because of a lubrication issue.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
This petty bullshit is embarrassing. If we all met up at a jeep jamboree, on the trail, or in a bar, would we be spouting out these personal attacks? So easy to do on the anonymous internet. In the words of that great philosopher Rodney King: can't we all just get along?
That's all he's done since he's joined this forum is take shots at others. I'll play along with this ass clown.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
That's all he's done since he's joined this forum is take shots at others. I'll play along with this ass clown.
It is pretty funny that most of his posts are negative and argumentative.... I thought we were suppose to help each other out here...
Old 08-12-2016, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Ha!!! Yeh, I guess it not much of an analysis, but it beats taken whatever any fat marketer spoons feeds, right. Cheers.
No. I just believe in reading independent reports. Oil is formulated to hold contaminants. Those vary with engine displacement, design, environment, etc. a simple finder smudge doesn't cut it. By the time you feel grainy oil, that shit has been rolling around in your engine for some time.

Here's my own method. I can afford full syn every 3k and it makes me feel better. Just knowing it's always fresh.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jahamm88
It is pretty funny that most of his posts are negative and argumentative.... I thought we were suppose to help each other out here...
Likely a reflection on his own life. Like you mention, he seems to have a need to put others down by being negative and argumentative towards others choice of doing things in an effort to elevate his own low self esteem. Everyone of his posts to date screams classic case of SPS. He would fit in well at that WOL forum, especially with those EVO windshield stickers.

Someone comes out swinging and continues to swing in a discussion, I'm going to swing back. Another thing passed down from my father besides the 3K oil changes. We don't F around and put up with sh*t from people acting like bullies. We punch them in the nose and watch them drop on the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-13-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

........ My trick, just run my fingers over the dipstick and then rub the oil between your fingers and thumb and feel if it is still slick or feels rough. Surprisingly, this is an easy and effective way to determine how your oil is doing.....
I hope there is a large bit of sarcasm there....

Quick Reply: False Oil Change Indication?