Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

False Oil Change Indication?

Old 08-11-2016, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you ever had your oil tested? you would be surprised at how long you can run your oil before it breaks down. Just because it's dark in color doesn't mean it's not lubricating.
Get it tested every once in a while.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't. Funny you mentioned that because I've been doing some diff work for some autocross guys lately and slit of the competitive guys get there oil tested a lot. I have no doubt that it can last longer, it's just my paranoia. If I can't get around to changing my oil when I want I know it's not the end of the world I just don't like it. I did some valve train work on a 5.4L in an expedition for a customer of mine and he swore that he changed the oil every 5K on the dot. When I removed the cam, every journal and cap was scared. I plan on keeping my Jeep forever so it's worth it for me to change the oil more often, even if it's not always necessary. Good advice though.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whatever comes first. And I also use 5w-20 synthetic.

I'm with you guys, I plan on keeping this forever.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i change mine before winter and after so roughly every 6 months regardless of milage. to date my 2012 has 11,551 miles on it lol.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I thought mine was a garage queen. I just rolled over 16K. The gas pedal trick works for Chevy trucks as well. Actually that's how I figured it out on the Jeep... Figured if it works for Chevys it may work for a Jeep.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

So on my 2013 jk it just had the oil change indicator with out the percentage left and I never reset it and it never came on in 20000 miles. I bought new and never reset it and it was never back to the dealer from new to when I sold it. My 14 has the percentage left and I have 50000 miles on it and it shows the same percentage at the same miles so I don't take much stock in them as I know I drive different conditions all the time so no way would I have approximately 30 percent at every 5000 mile interval.

I have done Blackstone lab tests on motorcycles for years and agree we change oil too early but makes me feel good.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Using the recommended 5w20 is super important on the 3.6L Pentastar engines. It's mainly because they have VVT(variable valve timing). There are a lot of very small oiling ports up in the head that may not get adequate lubrication with thicker oils. I have over 40K on my 13' JKUR and I live in San Antonio, TX. Hot and Humid. At 4000k I start getting my oil and filter together.
Another thing that should be mentioned is that current synthetic oils are very impressive but the filters can only hold so much contaminates. If you did want to go 6K + on an oil change I would recommend changing the oil filter mid way and topping off the oil. That will ensure that you are getting those harmful deposits out of the oil.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RFL83-13
Using the recommended 5w20 is super important on the 3.6L Pentastar engines. It's mainly because they have VVT(variable valve timing). There are a lot of very small oiling ports up in the head that may not get adequate lubrication with thicker oils. I have over 40K on my 13' JKUR and I live in San Antonio, TX. Hot and Humid. At 4000k I start getting my oil and filter together. Another thing that should be mentioned is that current synthetic oils are very impressive but the filters can only hold so much contaminates. If you did want to go 6K + on an oil change I would recommend changing the oil filter mid way and topping off the oil. That will ensure that you are getting those harmful deposits out of the oil.
in 2012, they specified 5w-30. That's what I use every 5k and am now at 78k miles. Not sure why you say to change filter halfway to 6k miles. Modern engines are built to go longer. The wife's BMW and my daughters mini go 15,000 miles between changes. Now have 150k on that mini and engine still runs great. Where are you getting your beliefs from? In 2012 the JKU manual says you can go 8,000 miles. I think later models may even be 10k. Sorry, but I think your approach is way more conservative than modern engines require.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

The service recommendations on your BMW and Mini are so long because they hold way more oil than most domestic vehicles. I know the 3.6 calls for 5w20 bit I'm not surprised that the 3.8 would call for 5w30.
The reality is that what I am saying is simply a recommendation. I am not, or at least I don't mean to, state anything I'm saying as fact. It stands to reason that based on oil analysis that the engine oil still has plenty of service life in it after what would be considered a slightly shorter than recommended service interval. My point was that even though the oil is okay doesn't necessarily mean the the filter can handle many more contaminates. So, I would RECOMMEND that if your going to drive 7500-10000 miles between oil changes, you would probably install a new oil filter to ensure that your oil is being filtered properly. I am an Amsoil dealer and they recommend servicing the filter and tipping off the oil during long service intervals.
Now, my Jeep holds 6 quarts of oil. I'm going to guess that your BMW holds.....8-10 quarts and the Mini, if it's turbo hold something close to that. That's quite a bit more oil for a similar or smaller size, or smaller engine.
If you want to change your oil based on what the dealer, or manufacturer of the car tells you, go for it. I will base my service intervals on the oil I'm using and what they recommend for service intervals.
A big selling point for dealers is high mpg's and low maintenance cost. Personally I didn't buy a Jeep for its good fuel economy or low cost maintenance.
I have already explained why it's important to stick with 5w20 in the 3.6L, but ultimately it's your choice to run what you feel is the best for your engine. I was told to continue running 5w20 by a friend of mine who worked in the lubricants dept. at a research facility here in San Antonio. He has multiple engineering degrees, every ASE master certification you can get, and he can actually work on cars....basically any and every car. They guy is crazy smart and I have a lot of respect for him and his recommendations. I am not nearly as smart as him, but I try to learn as much as I can, for my business, customers, and anyone who needs advice. I hope something I said here makes sense to you.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

You missed one of my points. Mine is a 2012 which has the 3.6. It calls out 5w-30. They switched in 2013. Mini holds 5 qts. Jeep holds 6. BMW holds 7.

Quick Reply: False Oil Change Indication?