Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Fairlead

Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh wait, Warn has one with no 'warning'. Just that you can use it with wire or rope.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...&t_pn=WAR73850
Old 01-22-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

With the poison spyder bumper i got , they had to differnt fairhead mounts so I already ordered the roller type... because the roller is what comes with the smitybuit XR8 whinch. So unless I want to spend a $100 bucks on new mount and fairhead? Well if you make the change let me know how it works out for you
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110122_124342.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	120509  
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many moons ago before syn rope we had hawse fairleads. They were around for two reasons cheap and light weight. Check out the cost difference of a warn roller fairlead and any hawse.

Yes, if you have a wire rope rubing on a hawse it will eventually make a groove but be honest on how many times you actually use your winch in a situation where you pull max at a huge angle.

Now you can spend $300 on a syn rope that will not wear into a hawse as bad and even make it out of lighter aluminum. A win-win situation.

On my F350 LWB CC diesel, usually running about 8K lbs, I have a hugh ranch hand style bumper and the largest winch warn offered at the time. The extra weight of the roller does not matter and chances are when I use my winch is it heavily loaded. Now on my little JK the poundage does matter, especially when I replace the wire rope with syn. And, the amount of force applied while using my winch is greatly reduced in this light weight situation.

The choice is up to the user but the question was "can one use a hawse fairlead with steel rope". With everything there are trade-offs this is no exception.

Last edited by toymaster; 01-22-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ffjeeper
Synthetic line can become pinched on the corners of the rollers.
Are you basing this on an actual experience or what you've heard? I've never seen actual proof of this (that didn't involve failure of equipment, i.e lack of maintenance.) I'd be interested to see that.

A large supplier of synthetic ropes also disagrees with that. Personally, I'll stick with a Hawse for synthetic: lighter, simpler (less to go wrong.)

Originally Posted by Viking Offroad FAQ
I have heard that you can pinch a synthetic winchline between the rollers, what's up with that?

We have tried to do that without success . Provided you are using equipment in good working order and based on our extensive testing it is not possible to get the line pinched between the rollers or between the roller and the steel roller housing.

Quick Reply: Fairlead