Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Failing Hothead Liners - Here's The Answer

Old 02-22-2014, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failing Hothead Liners - Here's The Answer

I bought a full set of the Hothead Liners for my 2 door JK a couple of years ago (front, rear and sides). I purchased the permanent 3M versions knowing they wouldn't need removing so might as well go for the strongest bind... or so I thought. Keep in mind that I'm in the UK where the climate is damp and relatively mild. Temps range from -10 to 35C but generally fluctuate between 5 and 25C. Well, it wasn't long before the corners began to sag and eventually half of the rear liner drooped down. The surfaces had all been cleaned with alcohol before fitting and the instructions were followed to a T but try as I might I couldn't get them to stay up. Up until a few days ago I was still getting problems with them and had tried most forms of double sided tape and velcro.

The answer seems to have now been found, though: 3M Dual Lock tape of the type SJ3560. The description reads:

SJ3560 has 250 mushrooms stems per square inch which provide an exceptionally strong closure alternative to velcro, screws, bolts and more.
On the other side of the tape a clear acrylic adhesive allows the tape to be secured to almost any surface and is especially suited for outdoor
applications where elevated temperatures and/or direct exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light may occur.

So far it's holding fine and looks like it may well be the answer I've been searching for so if anyone else is suffering the same indignities with theirs then try some of this. It's not cheap mind...
Old 02-22-2014, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UKCRD
I bought a full set of the Hothead Liners for my 2 door JK a couple of years ago (front, rear and sides). I purchased the permanent 3M versions knowing they wouldn't need removing so might as well go for the strongest bind... or so I thought. Keep in mind that I'm in the UK where the climate is damp and relatively mild. Temps range from -10 to 35C but generally fluctuate between 5 and 25C. Well, it wasn't long before the corners began to sag and eventually half of the rear liner drooped down. The surfaces had all been cleaned with alcohol before fitting and the instructions were followed to a T but try as I might I couldn't get them to stay up. Up until a few days ago I was still getting problems with them and had tried most forms of double sided tape and velcro.

The answer seems to have now been found, though: 3M Dual Lock tape of the type SJ3560. The description reads:

SJ3560 has 250 mushrooms stems per square inch which provide an exceptionally strong closure alternative to velcro, screws, bolts and more.
On the other side of the tape a clear acrylic adhesive allows the tape to be secured to almost any surface and is especially suited for outdoor
applications where elevated temperatures and/or direct exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet light may occur.

So far it's holding fine and looks like it may well be the answer I've been searching for so if anyone else is suffering the same indignities with theirs then try some of this. It's not cheap mind...
3M Dual Lock is amazing stuff. I live in the Detroit area and work in automotive, specializing in the roof area. Most OEMs use exactly what you have (in varying shapes and sizes) to fix their headliners to non-ferrous substrates. Magnets and clips are also used, depending on the situation. It should suit your situation well as it's tested from -30C up to 80C with good results!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KevinMac
3M Dual Lock is amazing stuff. I live in the Detroit area and work in automotive, specializing in the roof area. Most OEMs use exactly what you have (in varying shapes and sizes) to fix their headliners to non-ferrous substrates. Magnets and clips are also used, depending on the situation. It should suit your situation well as it's tested from -30C up to 80C with good results!
Well, that makes me feel a lot better, thank you for posting that!!! I don't know what it costs over the pond but here I paid $85 for 3 metres.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

A bit less than that but yes, the stuff is not cheap. It is not your run of the mill "velcro".
Old 02-23-2014, 01:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KevinMac
A bit less than that but yes, the stuff is not cheap. It is not your run of the mill "velcro".
Certainly isn't! Have just ordered another roll for the front panels.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A better solution.

Originally Posted by UKCRD

Hi,
I'm very sorry that your headliners did not stay in place. We made some changes about a year ago that seems to have solved that issue. That being said, the best solution if you are having a problem with your Hothead Headliners is to contact me by phone or email. I will solve whatever issue you are having to your satisfaction, and an email cost a lot less that 3M Dual Lock tape.

regards,

Mark
email: hotheadheadliners@gmail.com
Old 02-24-2014, 12:16 AM
JK Freak

Just an update here:

Mark kindly PM'd me and offered to refund me the cost of the Dual Lock. TBH, I didn't expect any help 2 years down the line as I've been so busy I just hadn't had time to address the problem. I'm very grateful to Mark and impressed at a customer service that seems to be above and beyond what many of us have come to expect lately. Thank you, Mark.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is wonderful to see there are still stand up companies out there willing to set up and do the right thing. Big Props...
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I sold my hardtop, HH remain one of the best mods I ever did. Great company and excellent customer service.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DallasJKU
Even though I sold my hardtop, HH remain one of the best mods I ever did. Great company and excellent customer service.
Agreed. True to his word Mark refunded me for the Dual Lock. Few companies would have done that and even fewer after 2 years. Many thanks Mark. I look forward to future products and would have absolutely no problem buying from HHL again.

Quick Reply: Failing Hothead Liners - Here's The Answer