Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

A failed shock?? OME Old Man Emu

Old 07-16-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lv jk
where did u pick up the bushig?
Maximum Security and Offroad. It's on Arville a couple blocks north of Tropicana.

702-227-5100
Old 07-16-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

I got an 07 stock Rubi and I threw the lower shock insulator on my rf shock absorber. I was on a very moderate trail, but lots of little rocks that give your shocks quite a workout. I must have torn it somehow and then threw it somewhere on the trail. I had to go down to a dealer in Denver and get one and then they told me I had to come back two days later to get it installed (5min job tops). I'm a tech for GM and was pretty pissed that they couldn't work me in as I did buy my Rubi from them, so I threw on my part right then and there in the service drive in front of all the other service writers, techs, and other customers. All that work for a part that cost $0.69. Anyhow, maybe it's something with the way it all flexes on the rf or maybe just coincidence, but I would'nt blame it all on the shock itself. My shock has been just fine since and it's been through Moab and about every trail in this area without a hiccup
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM
***erator

Thanks for the info. I found out that they are only $1.25 at the dealership.

Last edited by lv jk; 08-01-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

How was it you "found out"? There's a thread on another forum discussing this same issue. Some folks are surmising that the bushing was missing from the factory. Another poster found the bushing near his ABS sensor! I went searching for this topic because I tore my top bushing up doing some pretty heavy wheeling over lots and lots of small boulders.
I ordered the part from the dealer ($1.00) and installed it in about 30 minutes. I have the TeraFlex 2.5" BB with shock extenders and I just assumed I hadn't torqued the top nut down enough during installation and that it came loose while wheeling which chewed up the soft rubber bushing. I'm wondering now if there's a fundamental issue with the shock/mount/isolator design.

Originally Posted by pkess3
Found out that the top rubber bushing failed because we put the washer below it instead of on top of it and it was cutting the bushing. I installed some new bushings and the shock is working just fine now.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
How was it you "found out"? There's a thread on another forum discussing this same issue. Some folks are surmising that the bushing was missing from the factory. Another poster found the bushing near his ABS sensor! I went searching for this topic because I tore my top bushing up doing some pretty heavy wheeling over lots and lots of small boulders.
I ordered the part from the dealer ($1.00) and installed it in about 30 minutes. I have the TeraFlex 2.5" BB with shock extenders and I just assumed I hadn't torqued the top nut down enough during installation and that it came loose while wheeling which chewed up the soft rubber bushing. I'm wondering now if there's a fundamental issue with the shock/mount/isolator design.
I noticed that the bushing was completely gone and that the washer was there but it was upside down from the way it should have been on there. There's not way that bushing would have come off any other way with the top nut still screwed on unless something was chewing it away. The washer on one side is rouded and the other side concave with a sharp edge to it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed that the bushing was completely gone and that the washer was there but it was upside down from the way it should have been on there. There's not way that bushing would have come off any other way with the top nut still screwed on unless something was chewing it away. The washer on one side is rouded and the other side concave with a sharp edge to it.
Just to make sure everybody is aware those are stock bushings not OME.

David

Quick Reply: A failed shock?? OME Old Man Emu