Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Faded ProComp 7089 Alloy

Old 11-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Faded ProComp 7089 Alloy

Well before I spend $150 on a new wheel or ruin it by spray painting it black I was looking for some advice. My spare has turned from black to almost completely faded gray color. Does anyone know if this is permanent or can it be cleaned? I was told that maybe using a product called Marine Clear would get it back to it's original deep black. Others have told me that using a scotch bright pad would fix it. If the wheel is faded then I am spray painting it. If spray painting looks poor then I will just by a new one. But I was hoping to use the $150 towards a CB. Anyone else experience this? If you look closely my center caps have also melted. I am going to order all new center caps because they are cheap.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Anyone? I was hoping to do this tonight when I get home from work.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No pics? I would say you'll want to try to clean it before you do anything else. Cleaning it with a scotch brite pad is a BAD idea since it will remove everything on the wheel. Clean it up and see what you've got. If you don't like how it looks then look at the surface of it and determine what your next step is. If it's a rough surface then you can do the scotch brite pad and sandpaper to work the wheel down smooth. Once it's smooth then paint it a few times with black paint, then cover it up with some good clear coat. If that still doesn't cut it for you then you can go to a new wheel.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I have 7089s. Have for past six years. No fading. Some rock rash. Center caps are a joke--mine melted, too. Just mask and paint the hubs and leave center caps off.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Is my picture not showing? I'm sorry. I thought it would be. It shows up on mine.

The scotch bright pad seems to make it look slightly better but still have the white fade in it. I guess I will be spray painting black this evening or buying a new one.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I have 7089s. Have for past six years. No fading. Some rock rash. Center caps are a joke--mine melted, too. Just mask and paint the hubs and leave center caps off.
I can't believe they melted like that. Not like it's a really expensive wheel but I have to say procomp and SmittyBuilt I would never buy their products again. They seem to last about 4 years before turning to crap. Rust and fading.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Ok so I kinda scrubbed them with a soft brush and wheel cleaner. They returned to a black state but they will prob become faded again once the wheel cleaner/shine wears off. For now I think I would rather have a cb over a new spare wheel. Thanks for the help. Hope this doesn't happen to you.

Quick Reply: Faded ProComp 7089 Alloy