Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Factory steering stabilizer?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the synergy bracket.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
I like the synergy bracket.
The Synergy bracket is a cheap easy install. Just read the instructions online since they don't provide any, also buy extra washers (first pic) or the stock unit won't fit. They don't provide enough washers as well... Also the first pic has the bolts installed backwards, they should be facing outward (damn you Synergy for not providing instructions). It does do a great job of moving it up out of the way (second pic).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1197092023.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	497316

Name:	image-3480509946.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	497317

Last edited by Tripletsi; 09-14-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lkinmond
Most people will tell you "the factory stabilizer is good enough" or "you don't even technically need one". I'm personally not in agreement with them... If your Jeep is a DD and you've got your girl driving it, she'll really appreciate that upgraded stabilizer when you hit a bump on the highway. My jeep is perfectly balanced and I can drive it fine but my girl hated driving my jeep cause she was always white knuckled if she saw a bump (that's when the Jeep likes to throw you in various directions).
As long as the stock SS functions properly, its effect can't be noticed vs any other SS.

The directional stability of a 4-dr isn't much, and even less so on a 2dr.
The (main) reason for this is the live rear axle, which moves sideways with every up-down movement, and throws the Jeep a bit off-course = 'bump-steer'.
There are good solutions for this -- which have nothing to do with the SS.

The stock SS does the job, and I join the recommendations to relocate rather than replace it.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-14-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my third SS now. Now days I crawl under and take it off before hitting the rocks. I really need to relocate and upgrade from the SS at PepBoys.

PS: I hear yah, on the white knuckle bumps
Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM
JK Super Freak

If you are white knuckling it there is something wrong. You shouldn't be white knuckling even "without" a steering stabilizer.
A properly set up front end will handle perfectly without a stabilizer. So, if you are depending on a SS to hold it together, it's time to get that frontend fixed. It is a safety feature not a part of the actual steering.
I just changed my original SS at 145,000 and it Is still in good shape. Putting a new OME SS on made absolutely no difference from stock.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 09-14-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
If you are white knuckling it there is something wrong. You shouldn't be white knuckling even "without" a steering stabilizer.
A properly set up front end will handle perfectly without a stabilizer. So, if you are depending on a SS to hold it together, it's time to get that frontend fixed. It is a safety feature not a part of the actual steering.
I just changed my original SS at 145,000 and it Is still in good shape. Putting a new OME SS on made absolutely no difference from stock.
Like I said, most will disagree but I stand by it. My Jeep does handle fine with only the factory ss (I drive up to 150km/hr from Toronto> Washington DC regularly), but there is a noticeable difference in comfort of driving with the new Fox ATS I have on it - just tightens things up. (and my girlfriend loves driving it now whereas she had worries previously).
Old 09-14-2013, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

I've been running with out a SS for about 6k miles now. I've got no issues on hwy or pot hole filled streets. Only time my steering gets loose is when I hit a bunch of uneven patches in a curve. Which is why I just ordered a new Fox SS and JKS relocation bracket.

So is it needed? No. But recommended Yes. I'd stick with the original and send the dual back. Use that money for something else.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3volution05
So i'm under my girlfriends new 2014 jku sahara getting ready to start the lift and there is a steering stabilizer.... is this new for 2014 or do they come like that on all jeeps cause if it is new im sending back the one I bought
Send er back. Replaced Ours when we did new shocks and coils at 50k.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Patman
Who makes a good relocation bracket?
Pretty much anyone bracket is sufficient. It's just a bracket.

Also the factory SS is just fine. You don't need to get an after market one until like the others have said. There will be no difference in how the jeep handles if you have a factory one.

If your hitting bumps and your girl and jeep are all over the road you have other issues.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 3volution05
ok so then it worthless and I should rip it off and put the new dual RC one I got on? ...
Run the stock one. If you're going off-road, relocate it. I recommend the Wood's/Dominion Off-road kit. Eventually the stock one will fail ... perhaps by just losing pressure, or perhaps like this if you play hard ...

Name:	Bent Jeep Steering Stabilizer, Jul 09, 0234.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	497469

At that time replace it with a beefier one. I recommend the Teraflex. It's about 50% heavier and is unlikely to end up like the lightweight stock one. Regardless, as mentioned, a properly set-up Jeep runs fine without a steering stabilizer. Many of us have run for a period of time without them--as did I when I bent mine. Dual stabilizers are for pick-up truck drivers who want to look cool at the mall.

Quick Reply: Factory steering stabilizer?