Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Factory Gas Tank Skid Plate Idea

Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Gas Tank Skid Plate Idea

So I know the factory skid plate on the gas tank it ok. But what if I could beef it up a bit? I've been out on the trail a few times now and I've made contact more than a couple times resulting in some dents and scratches. I'd personally feel a little more confident if that skid were to be a little thicker. I have a Unlimited so you know how big a target it is. My idea is weld 1/8" plate steel onto the skid. I've made a cardboard stencil of the exposed surface which I'll transfer to the plate steel. Then I want to cut it out with a plasma torch. Then take off the skid and weld the plate on (after I pound out the dents), Then paint.

So I was wondering if anyone has done this or thought about it?
If you've done it I would like some pointers.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if you add 1/8" plate to the bottom that you will move the weak spot to the supports. I've taken my gas tank skid off 4-5 times already to pound out the dents and repaint.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I think that if you add 1/8" plate to the bottom that you will move the weak spot to the supports. I've taken my gas tank skid off 4-5 times already to pound out the dents and repaint.
How long/labor intensive is it to drop the tanks in these?
Old 01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

With about 3-4 gallons of gas in the tank I can do it in about 30 minutes. That includes the time it takes to set up the jack.

The tank just free floats inside of the skid, so when you drop the skid you get the tank too. The front of the tank sits above the cross member, so you put the jack at the back of the tank and lower it. If I'm just working on the skid, I leave all of the fuel and vapor lines attached to the tank while I lower it.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

I have given thought about the supports.But would it make it those weaker by a great amount? I'm still debating if I should or shouldn't.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
JK Freak

I don't know if I could quantify the strengh of the supports. It's all about the weakest point in the system. If you add the plate to the bottom without strenghthening the supports, and you hit something hard enough to bend it, then the skid will bend at the supports.

It would be difficult to repair the supports. I have had dents up to 2" deep in mine and have always just pounded them back out. I've seen many other skids with large dents in them as well. I haven't seem or heard of anyone putting a hole in the factory skid plate.

I just don't see the need to add an additional plate over the skid. Not to mention the cost or the additional weight that you would carry arround.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I just don't see the need to add an additional plate over the skid. Not to mention the cost or the additional weight that you would carry arround.
I second this.... That ~2'X4' piece of plate is not going to be cheap. When i had my TJ im pretty sure i lost a couple gallons of capacity (but gained ground clearance) from all the dents, but never had a problem with it.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
How long/labor intensive is it to drop the tanks in these?
yeah, its very easy 10 minute job
Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm planning on doing the same thing to mine soon. I'm not going to skin the whole thing, just back to where the first set of supports are. The leading edge of the skid is where most of my damage is anyway. Glad to know I can pull the tank/skid so easily. I skinned my T/C skid with 1/8th and it turned out nice.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default improve gas skid

I did this very job to my skid, I added 1/8 plate to the forward most section of the skid (skid is built in three sections)and welded two pieces of 3/4 x 2" C channel to the back section as sliders. has worked out well so far, have not had anymore serious denting. sorry no pics but this is an easy mod to do yourself and is way cheaper than aftermarket skids.

Quick Reply: Factory Gas Tank Skid Plate Idea