Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Factory fog light orientation in aftermarket bumper

Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory fog light orientation in aftermarket bumper

I installed a warn front bumper this weekend and installed the fog lights as they pictured - when I went to align them the beam was so low I couldn't adjust them to point forward - they wanted to point DOWN even at max adjustment - I ended up shimming the lights to get them to at least point a little forward and the cutoff pattern is good so I didn't think much, but now that it's been a couple days I wonder if they're installed "upside-down" vs the factory orientation - I followed WARN's instructions (see: http://www.4wd.com/images/catalog/pr.../PDF/74255.pdf ) Now I don't have any reference to the factory installation direction.

Anyhow - can someone take a look at their factory fog light installation and see where the vent hole is in relation to the bulb (should be on top or bottom) - it looks like a small black dot on the reflector just above or below the bulb...

THANKS!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

I actually prefer to have the lights aimed low so i can see what is directly in front of me.

Also, Since i lifted my Jeep, My headlights shine directly into most cars. I usually just run the fogs in town to not annoy people.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big A
I actually prefer to have the lights aimed low so i can see what is directly in front of me.

Also, Since i lifted my Jeep, My headlights shine directly into most cars. I usually just run the fogs in town to not annoy people.

When first installed these were pointing so low that the cutoff was about 20' in front of the vehicle - I could hardly see them if I sat in the front seat. I thought part of it was due to hanging a 'real' bumper off the front and then adding a winch and winch plate to it gave a little nose down attitude. They're still low enough to light up directly in front, and I'm "ok" with the current aim, but just got me wondering why i had to 'shim' them to get them up to at least a usable angle...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the pictures of the Warn set up it appears that the fogs should be flush (or paralell) to the front of the bumper, and it appears that angles downward slightly which would explain why they are not going very far. I probably would have shimmed the light too.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Looking at the pictures of the Warn set up it appears that the fogs should be flush (or paralell) to the front of the bumper, and it appears that angles downward slightly which would explain why they are not going very far. I probably would have shimmed the light too.
They actually mount on tabs inside the bumper that are more upright than the bumper itself...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Bump. Anyone???
Old 04-14-2014, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwiencek
Anyhow - can someone take a look at their factory fog light installation and see where the vent hole is in relation to the bulb (should be on top or bottom) - it looks like a small black dot on the reflector just above or below the bulb...
The vent hole goes towards the top, which makes the adjustor screws accessible from the bottom.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I had this question yesterday, and a Google search lead me here. Got a chance to see a few stock JK bumpers w/ fog lights this morning at work, so thought I'd update the thread in case anyone else needs the answer.

Quick Reply: Factory fog light orientation in aftermarket bumper