Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Factory Cam Bolts?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Cam Bolts?

I was told by a local off road shop that my '07 Rubicon came from the factory with cam bolts on the lower control arm brackets... is this accurate?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

No.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RubiconOrBust
I was told by a local off road shop that my '07 Rubicon came from the factory with cam bolts on the lower control arm brackets... is this accurate?
Not 100%.... No it did not come with cam bolts per say, but from the factory there are perforations in the lower control arm brackets that are there for you to be able to knock out slots with a chisel, if you ever decided to or needed cam bolts.

Basically it came prepped to use cam bolts without having to measure and cut slots, the slots are available if needed.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKred
Not 100%.... No it did not come with cam bolts per say, but from the factory there are perforations in the lower control arm brackets that are there for you to be able to knock out slots with a chisel, if you ever decided to or needed cam bolts.

Basically it came prepped to use cam bolts without having to measure and cut slots, the slots are available if needed.
Hmm... I guess that partly excuses the guy at my local shop. I was calling around trying to find someone who could weld up the cam bolt slots so I can adjust my caster with adjustable LCA's "the right way".
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

My local guy is recommending that I keep the function of the cam bolts to allow some "give" and then add my adjustable LCA's to dial in my caster.

Now, I know using cam bolts on an off-road vehicle is asking for trouble and using both is redundant but does anyone really go wheeling with cam bolts for the "give"?

Last edited by RubiconOrBust; 10-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Hmm... I guess that partly excuses the guy at my local shop. I was calling around trying to find someone who could weld up the cam bolt slots so I can adjust my caster with adjustable LCA's "the right way".
If you have never used cam bolts there are no slots, just a square hole... Slots are made by punching out the knockouts.

And it's stupid to have both. Adjustable arms would give you ample adjustability. Sounds like your shop isn't up to speed with the times
Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local guy is recommending that I keep the function of the cam bolts to allow some "give" and then add my adjustable LCA's to dial in my caster.

Now, I know using cam bolts on an off-road vehicle is asking for trouble and using both is redundant but does anyone really go wheeling with cam bolts for the "give"?
Holy crap! Don't go to that shop unless you want poor handling or the start of death wobble.:
Old 10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by renpia

Holy crap! Don't go to that dealer unless you want poor handling or the start of death wobble.:
Yeah... "give" it's not desirable or even remotely logical, especially on the front end. If your control arms "give" there're going to constantly shift around, wallow out the holes (or in that case slots), and lead to death wobble, damaging more components. Time to either do your own work or go somewhere else.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys, I owe you one!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by renpia
Holy crap! Don't go to that shop unless you want poor handling or the start of death wobble.:
I was thinking the same thing.

Quick Reply: Factory Cam Bolts?