Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR Fab Tire carrier tips

Old 07-07-2011, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh here is my 50th post
Old 07-07-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkd3624
Oh here is my 50th post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Doing this install tmrw morning. I didnt get any template in the instructions. Any advice on drilling without out it? Add a 1/4 inch or subtract?..is there a bead of caulk or some kind of seam sealer right where they are asking you to measure from?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

This will be my first purchase when I return from Iraq. Time to get the spare off the floor of the garage! Next, possibly the sheet metal bumper with LED back up lights.

IMHO...even the downloadable instructions from OR-FAB's site aren't the greatest. Does anyone know if there is a good install write up on this forum???
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

It fits the hi-lift up above the jerry cans. I found an ammo box to fit on one side for recovery gear. I found that I never needed the extra gas. The strap was just temporary for fitup. I've since used u-bolts on the inside of the ammo box to the tube on the tire carrier.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't think it was all that bad. Took me about 3.5 hrs including a trip to hardware store. I agree it was a PITA to install but the end result looks great. The only confusing part of the instructions was the "template" because no where did I find one on any of the pages. I figured they meant to take the bracket and trace around a piece of paper, cut it out, then place over the metal to find the placement to drill the holes. No problems. Now I can carry my 35" tire, 3 rotopax cans, a hi lift jack, and I have just enough room to mount a 10gal CO2 tank. My only complaint would be I wish the stem that the tire actually rests on was longer, because it's awkward to remove the spare by yourself w/o dropping it while untwisting the t-bar.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

I thought the install was time consuming but not all that bad. 3.5 hours is incredibly quick to install this thing...maybe im just slow. I had a couple of questions and thought that the customer service i got was pretty good. This thing is a pain in the ass to install by design but thats the trade off for not having to bolt a 200 pound bumper and carrier to the rear of your jeep.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Great thread start Deb. This is my next thing after my now installed 37 Nitto's.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Couldn't agree more.....while it is a PITA to install, it sure looks good and is very functional. I was riding behind a fellow a couple of wkends ago who had another brand carrier(whom I won't name but I will tell you are based here in ATL)and his was rattling so bad I had to turn up the volume on my radio. I am very happy with mine and even with both cans full it still swings perfectly.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

i wouldnt have cared if it took 3 days to install....as long as it dosnt rattle. This thing is rattle free and i have buddies with $1500 into their rear bumper/carrier that rattle to shit

Quick Reply: OR Fab Tire carrier tips