Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR fab tire carrier rusting!!

Old 06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK.nick
I've got the drivers side bolts and nuts In tight already. It's the passenger side I'm having trouble with. I can not get the nuts to the backside of those bolts(behind the passenger taillight) It's such an awkward angle for my wrist to bend. I'll give Or fab a call tomorrow, I'm swamped with all this moving crap.
Sounds like you are trying to put the nuts on through the taillight opening, I don't think anyones wrist will bend around that corner. I had to put them on while laying under the jeep up through the hole the foam was in. Those bolts are a long ways up there from underneath, but reachable.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Advice when tightening the nuts and bolts on the passenger side: Go from underneath!

I used a 3/8 ratchet with an extending arm from under the pocket where the tail light is. It was still a stretch, but worked much better than trying to fit a socket in the tail light opening.

Use the nuts in the back side of the bolts to keep it tight. I run a 35" goodyear duratracs with 3 rotopax, hi lift and shovel on mine, and its very sturdy.

Set my preload with nothing on carrier to be about 1/2 inch above landing block. With carrier loaded, lines up with landing block perfect.

Call Or-fab customer service when all else fails.. Really good people there.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys. Jeep is at my old house now, and it's raining cats and dogs so I can't do much. But on my passenger side I dont have the foam insulation. I have this plastic like thing that's JB welded in That's why I'm a little confused on how the heck I'm supposed to get in there LOL.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

I spoke with Or-Fab last week and they seem to have their production and quality issues behind them. They said the 4-6 week wait is over and the powder coating company has been changed. Mine should
be here this week. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Just as others have said, give them a call, Yates and Steve will take care of whatever issues you have. Top notch fellas. I have seen them replace other carriers with problems and made it right. You wont be dissapointed. I wont buy anyone elses bumpers or carriers because they not only stand behind their product they will stand behind you the customer.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Okay here is why i can't get into the passenger taillight side from below....

Wtf is it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2172151312.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	177197  
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

BUMP...I'm curious too
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Do you have it in yours too? It's a pain! Cause that IS the reason my carrier won't stay tight. That little waffle looking thing blocks me from putting the last 2 bolts behind the bracket.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK.nick
Do you have it in yours too? It's a pain! Cause that IS the reason my carrier won't stay tight. That little waffle looking thing blocks me from putting the last 2 bolts behind the bracket.
Nope, but I'm curious as to what that is. I can get to the foam from under the jeep. Did they screw something up and put that in it's place? Have you checked with your dealer as to what that is and why it is there?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by debsJK

Nope, but I'm curious as to what that is. I can get to the foam from under the jeep. Did they screw something up and put that in it's place? Have you checked with your dealer as to what that is and why it is there?
So you've got foam on BOTH driver and passenger sides? Im gonna have to pay my dealer a little visit. Knowing them, they will have no idea what it is

HELP.

Quick Reply: OR fab tire carrier rusting!!