Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OR fab tire carrier rusting!!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some of the rust off. Just used a wire brush and gently scrubbed it. Gonna reset my preload this week, and hopefully I get it right!

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree that rust sucks but who doesn't have some rust on their jeep or their armor...flat black rattle can is your friend.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all about the preload. I also didn't tighten the hinge plate(passenger side) very well, so it had a slight tilt to the driver side. (instead of being parallel to the tailgate). I took the carrier off, put a 2x4 against the hinge plate and gave a solid which with a 2lb mallet. Tightened everything back up and was good to go.

I also glued(using a bead of silicone) a small piece of rubber bed liner on the metal landing block so the carrier is metal on metal when closes.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce

I also glued(using a bead of silicone) a small piece of rubber bed liner on the metal landing block so the carrier is metal on metal when closes.
Do you have a pic of this?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I get home! No prob.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I tightened the bolts and now they are loose again. What gives? Do I have to put a lock nut on the backside of that plate? I tried getting them in there and wow....there's no room!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

The directions have you putting nut on the back of the bolts once everything is tightened down completely. One of the nuts holds an additional support brace in place that secures the entire setup to the tub by the roll cage. Did yuo put these on? They are a pita to do but necessary. It was easiest to access them from the bottom of the quarter panel space through the hole that is there when you remove the foam insulation.
Last but not least did you call OrFab and talk to tech? Their customer support is top notch and I can't see them letting this go.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I experienced a small bit of surface rust at the beginning too. I scrubbed it off with a wire brush and hit the worn spots on the arm and landing block with rustoleum bedliner, and voila, no more rust spots. I also keep WD-40 on the hinges and not a single sign of rust has returned.

Also on the pre-load, when mounting mine I set it up about 3/4" high. That way when weight is added, it will not go past the landing block. Still, with my steel wheel and 33" tire + Hi-Lift Jack + 2G Rotopax it does not sag past the landing block.

Give one of the OR-Fab guys on here a shout and they will help you out, no doubt about it.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

I've got the drivers side bolts and nuts In tight already. It's the passenger side I'm having trouble with. I can not get the nuts to the backside of those bolts(behind the passenger taillight) It's such an awkward angle for my wrist to bend. I'll give Or fab a call tomorrow, I'm swamped with all this moving crap.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D1EHARD
I experienced a small bit of surface rust at the beginning too. I scrubbed it off with a wire brush and hit the worn spots on the arm and landing block with rustoleum bedliner, and voila, no more rust spots. I also keep WD-40 on the hinges and not a single sign of rust has returned.

Also on the pre-load, when mounting mine I set it up about 3/4" high. That way when weight is added, it will not go past the landing block. Still, with my steel wheel and 33" tire + Hi-Lift Jack + 2G Rotopax it does not sag past the landing block.

Give one of the OR-Fab guys on here a shout and they will help you out, no doubt about it.
When I installed mine, without the tire it lines up perfectly with the landing block. With the tire on, it sags about a 1/4" but still hits the landing block. I fasten the cam bolt and it pulls it right into place without any problem.

Same thing here, a little WD-40 and not a bit of rust on my hinges. I love the fact that this carrier absolutely silent, no rattles at all.

Quick Reply: OR fab tire carrier rusting!!